Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Infinity Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L
Default Infinity Speaker Replacement

So my friends 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited came with tweeters which are worn out and need to be replaced. I've been doing some research on replacements and wanted to obtain feedback on replacements. Specifically I'm wondering if I should purchase OEM replacements which will give me the exact fit and sound of the original tweeters. However the OEM parts appear to be a weak part and easily damaged. I see there are three revisions of this part and I believe the latest has an added capacitor which migh help alleviate the issue with damage. I'd prefer to buy OEM knowing they'll fit exactly with no modifications. However I don't want to have to continuously replace them due to a poor design. Anyone have any comments about the "C" revision of the tweeters?

I've also found a number of third party tweeters but they seem to be deeper (2.75") than the OEM (1.75"). Reading the reviews most buyers state they're drop in replacements. But an inch is a significant difference. Since I don't have the Jeep handy I can't measure. Has anyone installed after market tweeters with a depth of 2.75"?

I did a search and read some threads about third party tweeters but they were older and referencing ebay auctions which have long closed.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: The legendary inline 6, haven't done anything here yet

Infinity tweeters!

Attachment 121892

Never replace with sock speakers they are garbage spend a little $$ and get something that sounds good

Last edited by CherokeeChick; 08-28-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

You have the measurements, just go get some that will fit!
Old 06-03-2012, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by CherokeeChick
You have the measurements, just go get some that will fit!
The problem is I've read the 2.75" tweeters fit but not all the reviews seemed to agree they were a drop in replacement. I don't want to be hacking the dash to install tweeters with a larger depth. I'm going to measure the next time I see my friend but until then I'd like to know if anyone has experience with installing 2.75" depth tweeters.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:57 PM
CF Veteran

You can't take the cover piece into the store with you?
Old 06-03-2012, 02:58 PM
CF Veteran

Have you checked to make sure the tweeters work first before yougo buy new ones?
Old 06-03-2012, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2L

If you have the measurements then just find some after market ones that will drop in, but why are you buying speakers for your friends Jeep? Just curious.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Griffin13
If you have the measurements then just find some after market ones that will drop in, but why are you buying speakers for your friends Jeep? Just curious.
I know the measurements of the original tweeters and the measurements of the third party tweeters. And the depth is different (1.75" OEM versus 2.75" third party). What I need to know is the depth of the hole for which the tweeters are mounted into. If the mounting holes do not provide a mounting depth of at least 2.75" then the third party tweeters will not work. Since I don't have the vehicle at the moment I cannot measure the depth.

As for buying the tweeters it's more doing the research. She's not mechanically inclinde so I'm helping her out.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:51 AM

Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

Just go to
www.crutchfield.com

Enter the cars info and they will give brands, sizes and types of what fits and what does not.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:44 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sunny5280

I know the measurements of the original tweeters and the measurements of the third party tweeters. And the depth is different (1.75" OEM versus 2.75" third party). What I need to know is the depth of the hole for which the tweeters are mounted into. If the mounting holes do not provide a mounting depth of at least 2.75" then the third party tweeters will not work. Since I don't have the vehicle at the moment I cannot measure the depth.

As for buying the tweeters it's more doing the research. She's not mechanically inclinde so I'm helping her out.
Take the old one out and measure the damn depth! The depth doesn't really matter as long as there isn't something behind it to make the piece not sit right
Old 06-04-2012, 07:57 AM

Take the old one out and measure the damn depth! The depth doesn't really matter as long as there isn't something behind it to make the piece not sit right
I will the next time I see my friend and we have a moment to do so. I've already mentioned I do no have access to the vehicle in order to make the measurement:

"Since I don't have the Jeep handy I can't measure."

and:

"I'm going to measure the next time I see my friend but until then I'd like to know if anyone has experience with installing 2.75" depth tweeters."

and:

"Since I don't have the vehicle at the moment I cannot measure the depth."
Old 06-04-2012, 07:57 AM

Have you checked to make sure the tweeters work first before yougo buy new ones?
Yes. They're bad.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by GI-Jeepin'
Just go to
www.crutchfield.com

Enter the cars info and they will give brands, sizes and types of what fits and what does not.
I appreciate this however this is where I've gotten mixed results. The majority of reviews of read for third party speakers state they dropped right in. But then there were reviews which stated some modifications were necessary. It is this mixed feedback which has caused me to hold off.

Any thoughts on replacing the OEM with third party? Specifically sound quality and longevity?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:11 PM

Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

What are you meaing by third party? Are you talking about Aftermarket? I own a 2001 GC Laredo. I replaced my tweeters with a set from Memphis Audio. They fit in teh hole just fine, however I did have to modify the plastic dash panel that covers them slighty for the panel to sit flush.

If that inch is still too much for you to deal with, advise her to take the jeep to the nearest audio store. I am not trying to bash you but they will find a way to make it work since they want to get paid.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by GI-Jeepin'
What are you meaing by third party? Are you talking about Aftermarket? I own a 2001 GC Laredo. I replaced my tweeters with a set from Memphis Audio. They fit in teh hole just fine, however I did have to modify the plastic dash panel that covers them slighty for the panel to sit flush.

If that inch is still too much for you to deal with, advise her to take the jeep to the nearest audio store. I am not trying to bash you but they will find a way to make it work since they want to get paid.
Yes, aftermarket is what I mean by third party. I'd like to avoid modifications so any replacement requiring as much is a non-starter. I'm fine with buying OEM replacements. Just thought I'd get some input from the board.

Quick Reply: Infinity Speaker Replacement