Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Ignition locked, key works, but cannot turn...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Ignition locked, key works, but cannot turn...

How do I diagnoze the problem? And must I tear down the whole steering column to replace the current ignition? Anyone can respond today? Thanks.

Found a great Tech How to by AboveTimberline which helps if I do...

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/st...repairs-39494/

But not sure if I must do all of this.

Along with this question, I'm going to start a separate Q&A on which are best Manuals online, etc., for Jeep Repair.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:56 AM

Year: 2000

The description of your problem is rather vague. Have you tried moving the steering wheel back and forth while turning the key in the ignition? Sometimes they get bound up and that will work.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Model: Cherokee

as bigGeorge said, they sometimes bind up.
you have to release the pressure by turning the steering wheel (kinda like a loaded spring).
this will relieve the pressure enough so the key will turn.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:10 AM

hello, yep, tried moving steering wheel, tilt, shaking it, WD-40 sprayed in ignition. The key goes in fine. But once in I cannot turn it to ON position. The jeep has been setting up several months. I use to start it w/o a problem, but unfortunately was out of town and let it sit to long I guess. I need to get it out of Park and into Neutral. If there's another way to do this, I need a temporary fix to move it in my garage.

thx for your reply.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:12 AM

Caged, I'll try one more turning it, this time with more force to see what happens. Just don't want to make things worse. check back in a minute.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:22 AM

tried, not budging... whats the next step I should take?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

This is common problem for the Chrysler Ignition locks. My wife has a 99 Chrysler Town and Country and while this issue more prolific among the mini-vans, they share the same ignition locks as many of the Jeeps models. We have tried WD-40, Graphite, small taps on the key in the lock, wiggling, cursing, shimmy the steering wheel, more cursing. Most times it lets go eventually, but I am afraid of the one time that I am out of town and she is left with the kids at a Target parkinglot and the lock acts up.

The first thing to look at is the key. Is it worn? If one of the ridges is off then the tumblers in the lock will not engage and will not release the lock cylinder. A good test is to try to unlock the passenger side door. As the driver, you will unlock the driver's side door much more often than the passenger side door so the ignition lock will be as worn or broken in as the driver's side door lock. The passenger door lock will be virtually new as compared to the driver's side.

If the key fails to unlock the passenger side door then you know its the key. If it does, then the ignition lock has to go. Unfortunately, the only cost effective repair is to replace the lock cylinder in the steering column. I was quoted a price of $700 from a Chrysler dealership for my minivan. Needless to say, I will be doing it myself.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:30 AM

Have you tried putting the transfer case in neutral or disconnecting the shift cable at the tranny? It should roll then but the steering will still be locked.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by GI-Jeepin'
This is common problem for the Chrysler Ignition locks. The first thing to look at is the key. Is it worn?
thx, key is fine, not the original, been using it w/o problem.

as for suggestion on door lock test, I have two different keys for door/ignition, 1988 jeep cherokee.

agree, this could get expensive. I may just get a locksmith. not sure yet, but I have to move it real soon.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by BigGeorge
Have you tried putting the transfer case in neutral or disconnecting the shift cable at the tranny? It should roll then but the steering will still be locked.
Thx,

transfer case in neutral? hmmm, it is an automatic, tried putting it in neutral while turning key, steering wheel, etc. not sure if I understand you about "transfer case" I simply tried shifting transmission while parked into neutral.

as to disconnecting the shift cable, I would not know where to start. Plus vehicle is on incline and I cannot afford to let it move down more than a few feet w/o blocking service road.

I'm in a jam, lol. To try and Jack it up is even hard to do in the position I have it in right now.

I guess the only thing to do is replace the ignition switch or call a locksmith.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:23 PM

I'll be gone for about 1-2 hrs, then will check back in. If I have the time I will definitely do this myself to save money.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by OldRed88
Thx,

transfer case in neutral? hmmm, it is an automatic, tried putting it in neutral while turning key, steering wheel, etc. not sure if I understand you about "transfer case" I simply tried shifting transmission while parked into neutral.

as to disconnecting the shift cable, I would not know where to start. Plus vehicle is on incline and I cannot afford to let it move down more than a few feet w/o blocking service road.

I'm in a jam, lol. To try and Jack it up is even hard to do in the position I have it in right now.

I guess the only thing to do is replace the ignition switch or call a locksmith.
Do you have a lever next to the automatic transmission shift lever that puts your jeep into 4 wheel drive Hi or Lo? The lever will be marked 4 Hi ---N---4 lo or something similar. Try putting that lever in N and see if you can move your jeep.

Last edited by BigGeorge; 02-13-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:02 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Well what do you think George.. stuck in gear on incline, I'm thinking it just needs to push on the gear selector real hard while putting foot on brake pedal and turning the key..Maybe moving the sterring wheel back and forth , I've had to move it quite a bit to get the key to move on occasion.. I've had that issue on mine before and only happens when I'm parked on a hill. I wonder if he is facing downhill or uphill.. My transmisson friend told me the parking pall gets worn and makes it more difficult to get it out of park when on a hill..
Old 02-13-2012, 06:29 PM

Model: Cherokee

I had this happen before and the only thing that worked was spraying graphite in the cylinder and giving the cylinder a few good wraps with a rubber mallet. It worked for me and the ignition has worked for over 2 years.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:06 PM

Hey guys, back. Interesting, just bang away huh? Well, I do feel like it.

BigGeorge, tried moving the shift lever to neutral, no deal. I checked with a local locksmith, they want $225 to drill it, pop it and replace it with an ignition I already bought. Hmmmm....

94zjDriver,
Facing uphill, with right front wheel in a rut. Which may be causing the problem. I have very little room to maneuver.

I have more time now than I thought. Can possibly jack it up this weekend and literally shove it over. Probably not to smart ey?

Quick Reply: Ignition locked, key works, but cannot turn...