Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

I need help

Old 06-24-2011, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question I need help

I don't know exactly what's wrong with my jeep. After driving for a few hours is starts like kicking off and then it will actually shut off. After i sit about 20 minutes i can continue driving as long as i don't go over like 55mph. It's not the fuel pump or filter because it don't sputter or anything like that. Also i have water pouring in the passenger floor board. We drilled a hole in the black thing under the carpet and ran a clothes hanger through it but it wasn't clogged. I can hear water sloshing around somewhere. I don't know what i need to do. Can someone help me out? I have a 98 jeep grand cherokee lardeo 4x4.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by Tisha
I don't know exactly what's wrong with my jeep. After driving for a few hours is starts like kicking off and then it will actually shut off. After i sit about 20 minutes i can continue driving as long as i don't go over like 55mph. It's not the fuel pump or filter because it don't sputter or anything like that. Also i have water pouring in the passenger floor board. We drilled a hole in the black thing under the carpet and ran a clothes hanger through it but it wasn't clogged. I can hear water sloshing around somewhere. I don't know what i need to do. Can someone help me out? I have a 98 jeep grand cherokee lardeo 4x4.
Welcome to CF.
I'd go and have it checked to see if there are any fault codes stored.
That sloshing water sound is probably water from condensation in the HVAC housing IMO, and here's a write-up about fixing those wet floorboards in your ZJ:>https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/ac-...pet-fix-24246/
Old 06-24-2011, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989 2 door
Engine: 4.0

How is it acting when it dies? Lights go dim, back fires, or just shuts off? Also what happens if you try start it while waiting that 20 min.s?

Here is a link on the water issue. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/wat...r-board-14836/
Old 06-24-2011, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

The crank shaft posistion sensor will make it shut off at various times when it starts going bad. Check for codes (most auto parts stores will read codes for free) first but I believe it's the CPS (crank shaft position sensor). The water issues will be fixed by doing what the link (upabove) tells you to do.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

The cam sensor will cause that problem too.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was getting water in my floor and it was only when I ran the ac. It ended up being the drain hose was stopped up. I had to take it off and blow it out. All is good now.