Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

I kinda need my brake lights.. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: i6
Default I kinda need my brake lights.. Help?

Alright, I have searched but cant find anything that fits exactly. My turn signals wont work. Front or back. I checked all the bulbs and they are good. The hazard lights do work though.. Also, my brake lights dont work (I think sometimes they do, one day my girlfriend was driving and they were working, later that day they weren't, and then they started again. Now they aren't at all. Anybody have any idea? I checked every fuse I could find
Old 06-13-2013, 03:28 PM

Model: Cherokee

Possibly a bad brake light switch at the pedal? Bad turn signal relay.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine: 5.2

yeah brake lights are probably the easiest of those problems. Check behind the pedal for the switch. Mine wouldn't work..or would get stuck on. Cleaning the switch fixed it. It all plugs in together, not too hard to do.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

The brake light circuit goes through the turn signal switch, and you state that the turn signals do not work. I think you may need a multi-function (turn signal) switch, or at least check the connection at the switch.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:23 AM

Engine: i6

Thanks guys! I will check it out tonight. Somebody at work mentioned a little cylinder looking relay/switch under a panel on the drivers side dash (closer to the floor) but I couldn't find anything. Anybody know what its called? He couldn't remember.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:42 AM

Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Stock Straight 6

Originally Posted by joshamo
Thanks guys! I will check it out tonight. Somebody at work mentioned a little cylinder looking relay/switch under a panel on the drivers side dash (closer to the floor) but I couldn't find anything. Anybody know what its called? He couldn't remember.

flasher, pre 97 its under the dash by the floor, 97 plus its in the steering column little silver flasher should have 2 on pre 97 one for hazards one for turn signals
Old 06-15-2013, 08:39 AM

Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7
Default Brake Lights

Re: Brake Lights

It would help if I knew what Year and Model you were referring too?

You said you checked all of the bulbs and also the fuses, and found nothing wrong, that's good.

The Grand Cherokee Laredo model has a funny little nuance that not a lot of people know about, and that is when you remove the rear break light shield to replace the bulbs, you will notice that their are three bulbs on each the right and the left.

In the process of checking and/or replacing the bulbs most people don't pay attention and put the bulb housing back without paying attention to the sequence they took them out in, and you would think what difference does it make, it makes a big difference, if not correctly replaced they want work properly or at all.

Notice the numbers on the bulb casings, you will notice that two of these have the same number usually the top and the bottom and the one in the middle has a different number, this is the sequence they need to replaced in.

Matching two numbers one on top one on bottom, different number replaced in the center, you don't know it but the wiring order for these to work properly is contolled through this manner.

Hope this helps you somewhat, if not please let me know!

Good Luck

Joseph
joe954@hotmail.com

Last edited by Joe954; 06-15-2013 at 08:56 AM.