Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Hyper flash

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default Hyper flash

So I noticed the other night that my right turn signal has started to hyper flash. I have no LEDs in my parking lamps, the only LEDs I have are for the license plate. I noticed it starts fine and then starts hyper flashing. Switched out bulbs and still does it, I did notice however that it only does it at night with l all lights on and not during the day. Any ideas.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.7L

My right rear combo running/brake lamp just went hinky and diagnosing it led me to buying a LKQ lamp assembly ($67). Yours sounds like the ground circuit to one of the active lamps is going open when hot. Did you see evidence of a burnt hot-spot on any of the sockets? Check them on their outer walls, near the contacts, for black spots. That's how I found my failed socket, following the harness wiggle test, which led me to the "lamp-socket circuit board" (for lack of a better name). Also, wiggle or unplug/re-plug the blinker relay. Do the free stuff first. Sometimes you get lucky and fix or find things just by messing with them.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.7L

Waitaminit. You're in Harlingen? Is that Harlingen, Texas or Harlingen, Netherlands?

I have to ask because it comes down to Left or Right hand drive vehicles and I think the schematics differ between the two. All-in-all, your LED license plate lights MAY be contributing to the "hyper-flash" condition. Pull those LEDs and see if the flash rate changes for-the-better with your right turn signal.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:23 AM

Texas. Sorry for late post been busy with holidays at home and work. So I tried you suggestions and I do notice that it does have some signs of heat damage to the socket. I guess I'll head to boneyard this week and pick one up hopefully it works. As for the other stuff checks wires connectors and relays all good and sound. I thought about the license plate affecting it too but than realized it would make both hyper flash and not just the one. I'll switch out sockets and let you know. Thanks for the help
Old 11-28-2016, 08:59 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

A shorted side marker light will cause the hyperflash.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:12 PM

Problemo solved. It was the socket. Thanks cherryoke. Went and picked up some new sockets, even got the one with parking lamp on, it always bothered me that it was flasher only. Voila all is good again. Thanks y'all