Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Hydraulic Cooling Fan idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hydraulic Cooling Fan idea

So I am the lucky owner of a 02 4.7 WJ, who's awesome hydraulic cooling fan has seized. I have the idea to ditch the hydraulic setup. Firstly I know I will have to change the pump due to the flow control valve being in the fan, in which I will replace the high pressure line as well. The cooling fan will be installed with a temperature switch to turn it on when the engine gets warm. Now I know the solenoid on the hydraulic fan uses a PWM from the PCM to open and close the solenoid to determine how much it opens to allow more or less fluid through to control fan speed depending on engine temp. My question is, will there be any problems with removing the small solenoid from the fan and zip tying it out of the way so that the computer can still send a signal to it? I work with an engine tuning company but we only tune newer vehicles, I still might be able to get a flash that will eliminate the P1499 code associated with unplugging the solenoid. Just curious if anyone has done anything like this or knows any better options, I can do the pump, line, and switch for Half of what I can find a used cooling fan. Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

An electric fan conversion would be the way to go, not sure about the solenoid and plumbing required though.