Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

HID & roof lights on a 2000 wj

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8 Hemi
Default HID & roof lights on a 2000 wj

My next mod I want to update my headlights to the HID lights.. Seems it's going to be a little more involved than just swapping the lights out, I don't know too much about wireing when it comes to relays any tips would help! I have angel eye projector fog lights replacing my factory fog lights that only *half* work because I don't know how to wire relays. The halo part of the fogs are connected through my running lights. But I guess the projector bulbs use more energy than factory bulbs so I need a relay? They blew a fuse when I tried to wire them.

I also want to do roof lights and get another set for my push bar. Where the hell do I wire roof lights too???

Lastly, I have a decent sound system installed, with all the added lighting should I upgrade my battery & alternator too make sure I have efficient energy flow?
Old 01-10-2012, 06:13 PM

Well i found some hieroglyphs on this post

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/spo...-wiring-77424/

ill give it a try and hope i don't burn my jeep down.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 PM

I guess the real question is.. can i mount the lights to my existing roof rack? i cant seem to find andy type of bracket that fits over the one i currently have or clamps the hold the lights in place!?
Old 01-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 242CI 4.0L I6

I'm trying to get a 3rd cross bar and drill 4holes in it for lights.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:03 PM

Thats a good idea, i guess ill just use the one i have & do the same. BTW Im in Pittsburgh area too, can you recommend any muddy places? lol
Old 01-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 242CI 4.0L I6

Muddy? not too many, a few trails out in the Plum area. I'm in Williamsport right now, but I'll be home over the summer, sure we can find somewhere with mud and some trails.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:13 AM

Pittdogg, I'm no expert on electrical but think of a Relay as a very heavy-duty switch. It turns your lights on/off and it can withstand the high amount of amperage flow that the lights will require. Relays are a great thing to use for nearly any electrically switched accessory.
Dash mounted switches cannot handle large amounts of amps but Relays are too big and bulky to mount on the dash. Soooo, we use a small and easy to use dash mounted switch to turn on a Relay... relays use tiny amounts of power to operate their switching mechanism. Then that relay turns on the lights.

You can wire your light bar to your battery distribution block... just follow your battery positive cable to find the distribution point. If that point is too full of wires then you ought to think about upgrading that to a real (think hi-end stereo equipment wiring setups!!!) distribution block. It's cheap, easy and BULLET-PROOF! Obviously, you can place your relay and your dash switch anywhere you like. Oh, and make sure you use a fuse/fusible link. Just use Ohm's Law (Google or Wiki it!) to calculate the proper size of fuse.

If you use your stereo and lights in moderation, you will not need to upgrade your battery/charging system, if it is all still in good condition.

You can get high-output alternators and any other upgraded electrical wiring at any local good car stereo shop or ricer shop. You can also Google for online purchases. Mean Green and Bosch make kick-*** HO-Alternators.

There's really dozens of mods you can do to your electrical system to make it more powerful and more efficient.