Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

HHO zj

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default HHO zj

just wondering if anyone has ever thought about putting an HHO cell (hydrogen fuel cell in case anyone was wondering) in their jeep to run it off of. i started making my cell and if there just happens to be some one who has done it, please send me some pics!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by Jeepjunky
just wondering if anyone has ever thought about putting an HHO cell (hydrogen fuel cell in case anyone was wondering) in their jeep to run it off of. i started making my cell and if there just happens to be some one who has done it, please send me some pics!!!
I read a thread on a forum a while back from someone that was working on just such a vehicle. I believe it was on one of the turbo forums I frequented before and he never did/could finish/figure it out. He talked the talk and sounded impressive to most, but when called out on a few points he lost his composure and intellect and the posts changed to arguing, then became sporadic and vulgar, then they simply stopped. It seems he was too high strung and couldn't take constructive criticism. He might well have been on the right path though. He just needed a little outside help. He might not have wanted to share the lime-light. Poor soul.
Anyway, I wish you good luck, and a better experience with your venture.
Dan
Old 04-27-2010, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

wow that sucks for that guy. but i figured it out and started making it. im just trying to get 1 more thing on ebay b4 i got every thing i need.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah folks over there were really immature and the staff didn't care less. I felt bad for the guy but what could I do? I was a newb myself, and after I said a few things to try to "put out the fire" it just got worse. I stopped going there after that. I'm glad I found this site.
I wish you luck. It's over my head though.
Dan
Old 04-27-2010, 10:24 PM
CF Veteran

thanks dude! i need all the luck i can get lol!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:30 PM
CF Veteran

Well just stick with it. Giving up gets you nothing. Patience and perserverance usually pay off.
Dan
Old 04-27-2010, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

x2^^^^...good luck and keep us posted

Last edited by lliamsdad; 04-27-2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: missing
Old 04-27-2010, 10:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Not sure what kind you plan on running but a guy I work with used WWII tech for his. Mason jar with water and baking soda. On his v6 yota he gained about 2mpg on the highway. This wasn't exactly what you are talking about but combines hydrogen and gas.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjmarc
Not sure what kind you plan on running but a guy I work with used WWII tech for his. Mason jar with water and baking soda. On his v6 yota he gained about 2mpg on the highway. This wasn't exactly what you are talking about but combines hydrogen and gas.
that is a method i saw used a lot. ur friends problem was that his yota has EFI and he didnt get a EFIE or a MAP/MAF enhancer. if he didnt get either one of those it will give you worse mileage
Old 04-28-2010, 08:48 AM

I did experiment with hydrogen and what I found is that amps do matter, but not voltage(min 1.2V per cell). I did try different frequency and voltage. At the end the amps what made it working. Using baking soda will increase the production, but will increase the amps drawn too. Modulating the current did some improvements when go to power consumption. but did not increase the hydrogen output. I experimented with pipes instead of square cells.
It was just for fun and I did not expected great results. What I found from another source is that using production "on demand" will decrease power consumption. It was crude set-up with large amps slide resistor mounted to gas pedal. That guy had 2 alternators. One was dedicated for hydrogen production. His claim was that he could produce enough hydrogen to drive without gasoline. Never could prove that. Some claim that if you place a piezoelectric element in cells then the water break down will require less amps. That never come to life, but it is worth to try. Mayer claims that high frequency will break down the water, but that did not work for him.
When goes to modulating the output, I found that lower frequency (5 to 15 Hz) produce better output that high (20 MHz). I have Stingray for laptop and that is how I monitor my work. Good luck and have a fun.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by trucker
I did experiment with hydrogen and what I found is that amps do matter, but not voltage(min 1.2V per cell). I did try different frequency and voltage. At the end the amps what made it working. Using baking soda will increase the production, but will increase the amps drawn too. Modulating the current did some improvements when go to power consumption. but did not increase the hydrogen output. I experimented with pipes instead of square cells.
It was just for fun and I did not expected great results. What I found from another source is that using production "on demand" will decrease power consumption. It was crude set-up with large amps slide resistor mounted to gas pedal. That guy had 2 alternators. One was dedicated for hydrogen production. His claim was that he could produce enough hydrogen to drive without gasoline. Never could prove that. Some claim that if you place a piezoelectric element in cells then the water break down will require less amps. That never come to life, but it is worth to try. Mayer claims that high frequency will break down the water, but that did not work for him.
When goes to modulating the output, I found that lower frequency (5 to 15 Hz) produce better output that high (20 MHz). I have Stingray for laptop and that is how I monitor my work. Good luck and have a fun.
wow, sounds like you got into it 4 a little while
Old 04-29-2010, 06:05 AM

That was about 3 years ago. I am still monitoring this subject and some promising development are coming on, but so far nothing sensational. I build electronic circuit my self, but you can save time and money by purchase for $35 electric motor controller with 10-30 amps for modulation. I blew at least 10 MOSFET`s and countless smaller IC`s. You can buy on line some gadgets that produce enough amount "brown gas" to get you better fuel mileage(10%) according to claims, but I never try them. The fun it is in experimenting. Regardless of what you will find, you will learn in process and that it is the fun. On the safe side - the gas it is highly explosive, so be careful. Join some forums and learn of another people mistakes. Have a fun.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks man, I wqill have fun that's 4 sure lol. And that's pretty cool that ur were making ur own PWMs (I'm guessing that's what u mean by electric motor). I got just bout all the things I need to finish it besides the PWM and a digital amp meter and then it's ready 2 b put 2gether.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:09 AM

My PWM was a crude design. IC`s and MOSFET on sockets as I burned quite a few of them during experiment. I had snap on capacitors and resistors to change frequency. The purpose of PWM is to pulse voltage to use less power.
I will try to locate the original pdf file. Will let you know.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

i already know what the PWM does and how to wire it up, the problem is trying 2 find 1 cheap on eBay lol

Quick Reply: HHO zj