Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Hesitation @ highway speed + other ques

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hesitation @ highway speed + other ques

Hello group, just joined this forum and already found some answers to my cherokee issues, but havent found a solid answer to a couple of issues in my jeep... so I got a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 8Cylinder, believe a 46RH transmission, and a swapped 249>242 transfer case..

anyhow the truck is great and drives fine usually in the city but once im on the highway it hesitates, like it jerks a little but has power and drives ok but just hesitates, drives, then hesitates, hesitates, then drive fine, its not bad but it anoying and I feel its ruining the engine. Now jsut fyi, the speedometer was all over the place and the transmission would shift in and out of O/D which I thought was the main issue, but i replaced the speed sensor with the updated one from Autozone and presto!! all issues with the trans and speedo gone.. everything work perfectly except it didnt fix the hesitation!? so like any ideas what maybe the problems?

The other problems that I like to fix is that my Cruise Control is out! a little irked and say that its not working cus I drive long distance and it suxs that my CC is out.. I love to fix it. I checked all the usual suspects like the vacuum, fuse, wires but nothing is seems out of place? I was hoping that fixing the Speed Sensor would bring it working but nothing.. so nothing is happening with the CC, not even when I turn it on does the light show that its on. Im thinking maybe the on/off switch in the steering wheel maybe defective, and wondering how to check that? Any advice would help. thanks.

One more thing is that my A/C climate control vent control isnt working, so there is not selecting for "floor, mid, and defrost" there is only 'Mid' all other things are working like the fan and temp control, even the a/c is working ok but just cant select the Air to go to floor or the window defrost which is dangerous especially during these winter months... so any help would be great..

And thanks to any help that I can get... I am technically sound, I replaced the 249AWD to the select trac 242 which was an intresting challenge
Old 11-25-2013, 11:43 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Your cruise control and vent problems could both be due to vacuum leak(s). Follow the lines from the vacuum bottle (behind front passenger side bumper) It should go along the fender to a tee which then goes in to the firewall (for vent controls) and over to the top rear of your intake manifold. (vacuum port) If it's all good there, you might remove the HVAC control panel and look behind it for loose or broken vacuum lines. Once you know there are no vacuum leaks, if the cruise still doesn't work, 90% of the time, the servo is the problem. I pulled one off a junkyard Jeep for about $27. This was after checking ALL fuses, switches buttons etc. The switch in the steering wheel was the most trouble.. I'd suggest you forget that one.. it's just a switch, probably OK. Hope this helps!
Old 11-25-2013, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Thanks for the reply, as for the vacuum I checked the vacuum and its fine no leaks. I checked it at the CC module, tho not sure how to get to the vacuum res? Also I dont think that my Trucks Climate Control runs on a vacuum. I believe its all electric cus the main actuator that controls the vent for defrost/mid is connected to an electric module below the center section of the dash. and have remove part of the dash before and there is not vacuum running in the dash.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have a bad spark plug wire. If the wires are old, it wouldn't hurt to toss a new set of spark plugs and wires on it.

If you put some water in a spray bottle mist over the plug wires and see if you can see one arching out.

It may also be a bad TPS.

Here's a link the the Jeep Grand Cherokee section on our website, if you need a new TPS .

Jeep Grand Cherokee Parts