Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Here is my future hunting rig

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default Here is my future hunting rig

Now I am looking for a lift. I like the rockyroad kit, and the iron rock kit.
Now are there any Canadian here who might know how to get one here in Canada. I am thinking the shipping for 85lbs might be as much as the kit. Although I would not doubt these thieves here are the auto stores will charge double anyway. I am anxious to get this done, I want to go buy tires and wheels but not much point till I get it lifted so they will fit.
Another thing should I go with 16in wheels and new rubber? there is 15s on it now and my wifes 04 has 16s I think. I guess I will take it to the muffler shop and have the cat and muffler cut out and replaces with something else. At least I can get started on something.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Engine: 4.0L, 63mm TB, FIPK, Gibson Exhaust

why are you taking the cat and muffler off? It wil probably loose horsepower without the cat, the engine is designed for it, if it needs replaced get it a high flow one.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Seasoned Member

oh and I think a lot of peeps have had trouble with rocky road, at least on other boards, IRO is the way to go.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

good to know about the rockyroad. actually I sent out emails to iro in hopes of being able to get one here fairly quickly.

as far as the cat goes I think they run fine without them. certainly would never think of putting one back on. I'll see what the shops say it really don't matter as long as its not plugged, but I have to have a muffler
Old 09-28-2008, 07:26 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2 V8

I cut my cat a muffler off. Put Thrush muffler on and I feel as if ti runs better without my cat. But of course my cat was extremely shot before I cut it.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Not sure why people insist on removing cats. They are no longer restrictive and no longer are detrimental to performance. In the US it is illegal to remove them anywhere since they are part of the federal emission package. Not sure about canada, but why remove it when you can get a good high flow replacement for under $150 US and still maintian performance and help the environment out too.

Just makes no sense and there is no good arguement for doing it.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:59 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by tsconver
Not sure why people insist on removing cats. They are no longer restrictive and no longer are detrimental to performance. In the US it is illegal to remove them anywhere since they are part of the federal emission package. Not sure about canada, but why remove it when you can get a good high flow replacement for under $150 US and still maintian performance and help the environment out too.

Just makes no sense and there is no good arguement for doing it.
It's illegal in Canada to remove or bypass emissions equipment also (Although, different provinces have slightly different rules, as do most states) And I agree, you're better to get a good high flow cat and good muffler, rather then just removing it. Just cutting it off can cause problems with sensors, and you may loose some of the engine torque...

As for shipping on lift kit parts, how far from the US border are you? if it's not too far, I'd set up a shipping address in the US (Many companies provide this type of service) and drive down to pick up your stuff. If that is not a viable option, then contact a few shipping companies and get a few quotes. I know DHL is usually one of the better companies to use for cross border shipping...