Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

HELP!! My 2004 Cherokee is clickin!!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default HELP!! My 2004 Cherokee is clickin!!

Hi All,

I just bought a 2004 (inline 6) from my buddy, who took decent care of his vehicle, which has now 113,000 miles. For the past couple of months I have noticed a clicking sound, which is intermittent. Sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not.

If it starts clicking, the rate of clicking increases accordingly with acceleration. If I hit the over drive, it usually goes away.

Thinking that it could be a sticky lifter, I cleaned out the crank case with some SeaFoam, ran it till it burned off, drained the oil, replaced the filter, and added 1 Qt of Lucas, along with 5Qts of Valvaline 10W40 Maxlife Synthetic blend, and nothing has changed...

Any advice? I'm really hoping this is nothing major, but if it is, I would love to fix it before I blow a rod through the block

Thanks!,

JaegerMeister
Old 11-06-2009, 06:48 PM

Hi again, to be more specific, as you all know, this is of course a Jeep Grand Cherokee (2004). I was just out inspecting the sound further, which seems to be coming from the lower end, ruling out the possibility of sticky lifters. I am REALLY hoping that this is not a bad rod. It seems that bad rods knock or click constantly once they go bad. This clicking again is intermittent, and could be there when I start up the engine, gone for an hour and then come back for a minute or two. Or it could not be there when the engine starts and then come back for a few minutes, then gone. It does not seem to have become worse over the last months, but it is concerning none the less. Any ideas???

Thanks,

JaegerMeister
Old 11-12-2009, 08:50 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JaegerMeister
Hi again, to be more specific, as you all know, this is of course a Jeep Grand Cherokee (2004). I was just out inspecting the sound further, which seems to be coming from the lower end, ruling out the possibility of sticky lifters. I am REALLY hoping that this is not a bad rod. It seems that bad rods knock or click constantly once they go bad. This clicking again is intermittent, and could be there when I start up the engine, gone for an hour and then come back for a minute or two. Or it could not be there when the engine starts and then come back for a few minutes, then gone. It does not seem to have become worse over the last months, but it is concerning none the less. Any ideas???

Thanks,

JaegerMeister
my 99 did that for almost 90,000 miles. Then at 190,000 it blew and knocked a hole in the block. Piston skirt let loose and it threw the rod.

Yank it and get it rebuilt with better pistons. Hope this helps !
Old 11-12-2009, 09:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

It may be a torque converter bolt. I had a similar issue(niose) and that was the problem. Check them before writing off the engine. 113k is still a baby.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:23 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 litre
Smile

had that happen to me b4.. I replaced my starter, turns out the gear inside the starter wasn't moving back enough hitting the flywheel from time to time .. $80.00 for me to replace ...