Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

HELP! 93 ZJ stutters and dies while driving!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default HELP! 93 ZJ stutters and dies while driving!

Just bought this 93 ZJ and its having some kind of fuel issue... I started it this morning and it ran fine for the first 2 miles, then i made a right hand turn and it stuttered real hard for a quick second and cleared itself up. Then i got to where i was going and shut it off for about 15 minutes... came back out and started it and it was idling rough for about 60 seconds and then died. I tried to start it again a few times and it finally went and has been stuttering ever since.

This make me think fuel pump... BUT i looked at the filter underneth and im willing to bet it has never been changed.

Should i start with a fuel filter before dropping $200 on a pump?

Am i even going in the right direction?

Thanks yall!!! You rock!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 04:21 PM

I would try filter but if it's running and theirs not a lot of fuel in it I would get both
Old 02-15-2012, 04:30 PM

So you think I'm headed in the right direction?
Old 02-15-2012, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee

Beat on the gas tank with a rubber hammer. if it starts you're fuel pump is going bad. my 94 did the same thing as you're describing. i'd bet its the pump.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:16 PM

So I have bought a fuel pump... Goin to put it in first thing in the morning. I changed the filter and drove about 20 miles and it was fine then I went to get some wiper blades for it and it started acting up again. Tried to start it after getting the wipers and it spit and sputtered for a few minutes then died at the parts house.... Hope the pump fixes it!!! Thanks for all your help... I'm sure there will be more! Lol
Old 02-16-2012, 04:19 PM

Put the fuel pump in this morning... Still no start. So I started from the beginning... Fuses, relays, and wiring from the box to the pump. All good. But the fuel pump was still not coming on?!?!? So I dropped the tank again and pulled the new pump back out to check it and discovered that it was faulty!!! So I took it back to the parts house and they gave me another and it works now! Seems to be running fine and fuel pressure at the rail is roughly 45 psi... I will check back in a couple of days and let y'all know if I have any more issues.
Thanks again for all your help!!!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:52 AM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 liter v8

Originally Posted by TN12valve
Put the fuel pump in this morning... Still no start. So I started from the beginning... Fuses, relays, and wiring from the box to the pump. All good. But the fuel pump was still not coming on?!?!? So I dropped the tank again and pulled the new pump back out to check it and discovered that it was faulty!!! So I took it back to the parts house and they gave me another and it works now! Seems to be running fine and fuel pressure at the rail is roughly 45 psi... I will check back in a couple of days and let y'all know if I have any more issues.
Thanks again for all your help!!!
LOL I've had to do that run around .....I got to the point where I just made a fuel pump door in the floor in the cargo area. Made it a whole lot easier to replace it rather than dropping the whole damn tank
Lol