Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Heater not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Thumbs down Heater not working

Hello. I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. Last month my cooling system needed replacing. I replaced the radiator, water pump, and thermostat. Since then, I have noticed that my temperature stays relatively cool, at the first mark. Some times it will flirt with the 200 mark but rarely does. My problem is this morning I needed my heat. It will turn on and blow out but is only blowing cold air out. I've been trying to research what could be the problem but no luck. Can anyone help me? BTW, I am not vehicle smart, so you telling me to trace vacuums and everythig else would be pointless. I need it in terms that a housewife could understand. Thanks
Old 10-20-2011, 04:13 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo
Default heater not working

Hi sparkles. i have a '93 laredo that I replaced all the cooling stuff in too. I put in a 195 degree tstat, and it never gets hotter than that (according to the gauge) It does however put out plenty of heat once it warms up.
My only suggestions would be to make sure it has plenty of fluid in it. Run it, let it cool overnight, top it off if needed and repeat several times. This will allow any trapped air bubbles if any to dissipate. Also, the vents ARE vaccuum controlled so a leak or a loose hose on the controls themselves could be the problem. Try all vent positions with heater on, you might be able to hear vents move.
Another possibility is that the heater core is clogged. Unhooking the hoses from the heater core (engine compartment firewall) and flushing the core may help, but don't use too much pressure as if they're rusty or weak they can develop a leak.
Mine doesn't have a valve in the hoses that opens/closes to allow water into the core, but if yours does, that can be checked as well.
Hope this helps.. going to be a cold winter