Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Headlight switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default Headlight switch replacement

I would like to know if you can use a headlight switch pod from a 93 GC in a 94 GC . the 93 has the fog light option and mine, the 94, does not. I would like to use the 93 headlight pod to switch on the aftermarket fog lights I already have installed and now use a on/off switch to turn on by a relay.. My question is will the headlight continue to work as before hoping the wiring is the same. If not then does someong have a wiring diagran for the two years so I can move the pins in the connector if need be to get the 93 pod to work in the 94. ????
Old 12-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6

Try here. Put in the year, make, and engine. Then click on 'electrical switch/relay', then click on 'Headlight switch'. They have a few. HTH.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
Old 12-10-2011, 09:31 PM

Guess I didn't make myself clear.. I have the parts just was wondering if they could be exchanged without a lot of wiring changes or not. ?? Thank you for the link thou looks like a good place to get parts.. I've seen there name around the forums and I guess I thought they were a local company in a bulding like Autozone and we do not have any around here. In looking over the wiring diagrams for the two years they appear to be compatable and will be trying the switch in a few days.. Have to get my work truck cleaned and put up for the winter as it gets to cold to do much fertilizing here during the next 3 months or so.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6

Sorry dude, my bad. I skimmed your question quick like, and was premature in my response. As far as Rockauto goes, I always start there for price comparisons then check everybody else. They have a good selection of parts and their prices are pretty good too.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Your good to go... the headlight switches from 93 through 95 are interchangable, as are the 96 through 98's. Your on the right track adding a relay to your fogs and using the switch.. i'm doing the same.

However, your "auto" feature may not work if you dont have the sensor on dash...
Old 12-12-2011, 12:00 AM

Yes thank you, I didn't expect the "auto" feature to work, and was pretty sure the switch was compatiable but wanted to check..Thank you.. I already have the driving lights installed and working and want to use the fog light option as from the factory so as to elimate the switch mounted below the dash that I have now. I do realize that if I do the fog/driving lights will not work when the headlights are on high, and that is alright with me... Not really wanting to blind the on coming guys just want to see a little better on the foggy mornings and at night on the country roads.

And by the way I did the headlight upgrade with the relays and twleve gauge wire... Man what a difference it makes... I was getting less then eleven volts at the headlights before now I get the full forteen point two I should.. Still using the stock bulbs and hard to believe the difference.

Last edited by 94zjdriver; 12-12-2011 at 12:05 AM.