Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Headlight adjusting on a 1999 Grand Cherokee?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Headlight adjusting on a 1999 Grand Cherokee?

Hi Gang, My old headlights were looking pretty seedy so I tried to polish them with no improvement. I bought a new replacement pair and it was a huge improvement. The slow deterioration was not that noticeable until I replaced them. As well as they work I do think they need some upward adjustment. I see no way of adjusting unless I pop the light out. I did not look to close when I put them in, but I believe there was an adjuster behind the housing. I did a search here with no results on the 1999. Any advice? Thanks for any help, Mike.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

http://www.wjjeeps.com/lamps/headlamps.htm#ALIGN
Old 10-30-2017, 09:03 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, on my 2000, there are holes in the top of the radiator support for access to the adjusters for vertical adjustment but not for horizontal. The adjusters don't work after a while, so you have to use them when they are new.

In the photo, which was taken to show the stabilizers that were added to repair broken bulkhead mounting tabs, there is a large hole next to the hood bumper. down inside, there is a small hex on top of a shaft that runs thru a plastic gearbox for vertical adjustment. Turning it on my old units did nothing, but worked perfectly on my new ones. I had to buy a long deep-wall 5MM socket from NAPA in 1/4 drive to use because I didn't want to catch the edge on the hole and have it pop off and fall behind the headlight.

Last edited by dave1123; 10-31-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:37 AM
Old fart with a wrench

SORRY, I made a mistake! That's a 5mm socket instead of a 5/32! I edited the post just now. My bad.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:54 AM

Great! Thank you both for the tips. Dave 1123, after seeing your photo, before I do any adjusting to the lights I am going to have to dig through the scrap pile. Both of my headlight brackets are fractured also. It looks like a nice cheap and easy fix! Great idea on the deep well socket, I would not have thought that far in advance. Thank you both, take care, Mike.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:58 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Oh, I didn't think ahead! I lost my 5mm short socket twice before I decided to get a long one! Pulling the unit out just to retrieve the socket was the last straw.

That was my gift to you!

I didn't use a target to adjust them. I just pulled out in the middle of my road at 2am and saw the low beams were a little low so raised them so I could see about like the old ones, then the high beams were awesome!

I spent a lot of time polishing the old ones until I realized the plastic itself was crazed. I bought the new ones from rockauto.com and when I got them they were Chinese. They've been in there for 5 years and they could use a touchup now. They look like a pair of eyeglasses that need a wipe, but you only see that when they are on. Here's a couple of pics to show the difference;
Old 11-01-2017, 02:56 PM

Huge difference Dave! Not to mention the stripes! Looks good, I like it. Take care, Mike.