Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Grand Cherokee Totaled -- what now?

Old 07-01-2015, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Grand Cherokee Totaled -- what now?

I was in an accident earlier this month -- hit by a drunk driver that blew through a red light -- and just learned this evening that they are totaling my 2000 Grand Cherokee. While the damage at the scene looked like sheet metal only and no structural (frame, suspension, etc.) damage, I did see fluids leaking out as soon as I exited the vehicle. A storm was moving in at the time of the accident and the rains starting falling immediately after so I didn't know at the time it was just the washer fluid tank that was leaking and not the radiator. I probably could have driven it home with a few pit road adjustments and maybe some duct tape. I'm highly confident it would drive down the road just as good and straight as it did before... except for the obvious damage that would probably get me a big ticket if I tried. It drives around the yard fine with no problems and I don't think the tire/wheel was touched by the other vehicle.

Now that I know it's totaled and will probably never see the road again, here's my dilemma(s):

1) I want to get another Grand Cherokee and keep this one for parts. In particular the tires only have a few thousand miles on them and are in great shape. To put these same new tires on another Cherokee would be around $700.00. It has a good battery as well and except for some bell housing chatter before it warms up -- which I believe is the flex plate with some loosening bolts -- this Cherokee is in sound mechanical condition. Good engine (4.0L), transmission, 4WD components, etc.

2) While I'd like to get another Cherokee I'm not opposed to anything else, in particular a truck. I wouldn't even mind a nice car so long as I can put a hitch on it. Even still I'd like to keep the Cherokee as it's still a mechanically sound vehicle (obvious damage excluded). It could be sold as a rock climber, farm vehicle or parted out.

The one thing that my decision hinges on is the salvage value the insurance company puts on it. If it's $500 I'll take that deal all day long. If it's $1,000 I'll have to think that through a few times. If it's over that I'll probably tell them to write me a check and come pick it up.

So, I'm hoping to get some input from those of you who've had experiences with situations like this and can share your thoughts and opinions for myself as well as others at this form, present and future.

For the record I didn't receive a scratch in this accident and I know that's the main thing. It could have very easily been a different story a split second sooner or later as this guy was really moving when he blew through the light.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

Okay, here's what happened to me with my Camaro. When it got totaled, I could buy it back from the insurance company by paying $1 more than the salvage company was going to give them for it. After that, I parted it out and got about 4 times what I payed them it for, then offered it to the salvage company. They were pissed, but still gave me $100 for the body parts.

My '00 Grand Cherokee is only worth $1000 for trade-in, so salvage value can't be much.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:35 PM

Thanks, Dave. That's my general line of thinking as well. Whether it be good parts for me (for another Cherokee), money in my pocket from good parts or selling the vehicle whole I want to keep the vehicle.

On a "salvage" note, I lost a 87' Ford Ranger to a fire back in 2012 and the salvage yard gave me $285 for the burned out shell. It was a bumper-to-bumper burn out but all the metal was still there for scrap weight. I went to junkmycar.com and let the locals bid on it and I would have gotten more if I had the time (the bidding continued for some reason and was up to $315 days later after being picked up) but it was sitting in the middle of someone's parking lot of their empty/non-used building so I needed to move it quickly.

So -- assuming I can keep the vehicle at a reasonable price -- even if all I sell/keep is the wheels and tires I can surely get $300 or more simply for scrap weight. A quick Google says the Cherokee easily weighs 600+ pounds more (?) than the Ranger as well.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:54 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

NYS registration weight for an '00 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 is 3980 lbs.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:34 PM

The drunks insurance people call a curb weight of 3,947.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:36 PM

And by the way, I just received a FedEx from the insurance and the salvage value is a little over $500 (deducted from the check they'll be writing me) so at least I get to keep it and sell it or part it out. More on that later.......