Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

grand cherokee issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default grand cherokee issue

So i had thermostat done a few weeks ago after the t-stat job i had good heat but low to no pressure in top hose yes it would be hot to the touch but doesnt seem like theres flow thru engine. Now lastnight i lost my heat and its running like garbage an rpm or two below normal lacking hp as well like its overheating. But guage reads normal. Even after a hlf hr ride there is still no pressure in top hose at all n almost feels full of air any ideas guys i cant figure it out everything states i should be overheating but it isnt saying it is. Also today i went out n before i started it i checked top hose and it was pretty hard to squeeze so i took rad cap off and started it and almost immediately it started to overflow i cannot figure this out someone please help

Last edited by bfiskvt; 03-19-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, this sounds to me like there is still air in the system. You didn't say what engine you have, but this is common with the 4.0 straight 6.

The way to cure it is to remove the temp sensor on the thermostat housing (WHEN IT"S COLD!) and fill the radiator until coolant runs out of the hole. Reinstall the sensor and finish filling the rad. This allows all the air in the head to escape. Also, the heater hose that goes to the heater from the thermostat housing should be the bottom one to allow air to escape from the heater. The older Wranglers had a petcock on the thermostat housing for this purpose but don't anymore. Some people have told me the V8s have this valve, but IDK.

Welcome to CF!