Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Grand Cherokee 4.0L Overheating with the AC

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand Cherokee 4.0L Overheating with the AC

So last summer, my girl complained one day, while making a long drive, that her Jeep had overheated on a real hot day. Wasn't sure of the exact reasons and I wasn't in the area, but I finally had it happen to me while driving it this past week. I'm pretty sure it was a combination of the AC having been running, the temperature outside, and the fact that I had just finished driving from NJ to eastern CT. Was hoping you guys could throw me some ideas. I'm new to working on cars in general, but I'm fairly certain I can fix about anything with enough research and time. Thanks in advance for the support.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:48 AM

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Without question, the number 1 issue there is the fan. Is your fan running when you turn on the AC? If everything is working properly, it is not normal for you to go into an overheated condition. Sure if it's hot outside, your running the AC and possibly stopped in traffic, the engine will run slightly hotter but definitely not overheating. I'm pretty certain that the fan will run as soon as the AC is on regardless of the engine temperature. If it doesn't allow it to warm up to operating temperature 195-200 degrees and if the fan still doesn't turn on, shut it off because you will begin to overheat. Trouble shooting the exact reason why it's not working can, at times, be a nightmare as Jeep has incorporated a hidden relay that makes it more difficult. Check this out first and let us know if the fan is running. Check it out a few times as this problem can also be intermittent. If it's the fan not running, I can post up a few trouble shooting things you can try. There are also some other reasons it would overheat but, I would start with the fan.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

You da man, Fishbone! Because we don't know the year of the Jeep, we don't know if it's electric, hydraulic, or what. Best place to start, though.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:54 PM

Oh I definitely meant to say that. 1999.