Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Going out of my mind....!!

Old 10-14-2011, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Going out of my mind....!!

Ok...where do I start?? I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6 cylinder, 4.0l engine, 2 wd. About two months ago, my Jeep would randomly die on me as I was driving. I would have to put it in netural, turn the key to start it up again, and then proceed on my way. Maybe once or twice a day that would happen to me. It didnt matter if the Jeep was warm or cold. So, my father and I did some major tuning. What we did was, new cap and rotor, coil , changed the throttle position sensor, changed the crank shaft position sensor, changed the air control valve, new fuel filter, had all the fuel injectors cleaned, as well as had the fuel pressure checked (all good), changed cables to the battery, new plugs and wires, had 4 diagnostic tests done (nothing became of that), and to this day (10/15/11), Im still having trouble. When the Jeep isnt acting like this, it runs great. The jeep hasn't died on me, it runs like it wants to die on me, like its not getting gas, or a vacuum leak...the best way I can describe it is like when you're learning to drive a manual vehicle and you dont know how to use the clutch, the vehicle kinda jerks on you. I'm not sure what else to do. No mechanic can figure out the problem. I would so appreciate any advice. Please help!!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Sounds like the fuel pump may be failing.