Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Going all out on my new-to-me '11 WK2

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 10:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Going all out on my new-to-me '11 WK2

I bought my '11 Limited 4x4 QT II about a month ago.

After some research I had a list. The list was way easier to generate than the one I did for my 98 XJ because by comparison there's only about 1/20th the amount of aftermarket options available for the WK2.

So this is what I bought today:

• (5) MB TKO 17x8.5 wheels with the option smaller Chaos center caps
  • (5) Toyo Open Country AT II 265/70-17 tires (wheels and tires to be installed Saturday)
  • RRO 2.5" lift
  • RRO front winch bracket
  • RRO Combo Bumper kit
Last week I bought a Surco UB4560 Black Urban Roof Rack that should be here next week some time. So in the last week I've dropped $3500 on parts!

If anyone is curious, I stuck with a 265 tire so the spare would fit in the well without the floor riding high. Also, a 17" tire gives a bit more sidewall to smooth out the rough stuff, and the 17's are about $40 a tire cheaper than the equivalent OD 18" version. This is my DD, and I spend most of my time on pavement, and I want everything to be tucked away.

Later I want to add the Trailhawk matte black hood decal, and the Mopar rock sliders. I'll also get some skids as time goes by, and hopefully a Chief front protector set up.

To illustrate the difference on the wheel caps, the following pics show the difference. The first pic is the larger "standard" center caps, which stick out too far for my tastes and take away the depth of the wheel. The second pick is the smaller caps on the same wheel.

Here it is stock.

Here's the look I'm going for after mods.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Okay, so I got the wheels and tires on Saturday. For anyone wondering about the "what fits", here are some details.

This is a Limited WITHOUT the heavy duty brakes, which have larger calipers. Because of this, I could fit many 17 inch wheels instead of the stock 18"

These wheels are MB TKO 17x8.5 with +18 offset and the optional smaller center caps (one wheel cap was backordered). The factory 18x8 wheels were a 64 offset, so doing the math, you get a 46mm difference, or about 1.5 inches. Then add another 1/4" (half of the 1/2" overall width increase, and these wheels are stick out about 1.75" inches further than the stock wheels.

The tires are Toyo Open Country AT II's at 265/70-17 (31.5" OD). As you can see from the pics, they crowd the wheel wells a bit, especially in front. Once I install the 2.5" RRO lift it will help a lot. So far there has been no rubbing at all lock to lock on street driving.

It definitely gives it a wider, more aggressive stance. The tires ride smooth, and are certainly no louder than the Michelin street tires it had on it before.

I was disappointed to find that this wheel/tire combo will NOT fit in the factory spare tire storage area. It causes the floor to stick up about 3/4" which sets my OCD off. I have put my factory donut (big donut) back in there for now. There's a chance that 255 on an 8" wide wheel would have fit.

Again, the pics are PRE LIFT.