Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

GC reliability issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default GC reliability issues

In my never-ending search for info on the GC and upkeep. I found the following. What is your experience with these reliability issues?

1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Reliability
Trouble Spots
Consumer Guide's® Auto Editors have scoured repair bulletins and questioned mechanics to search for commonly occurring problems for a particular vehicle. In some cases we also give possible manufacturer-suggested solutions. In many instances these trouble spots are Technical Service Bulletins posted by the manufacturer, however, we have our own expert looking at additional vehicle problems.
Air conditioner: If the air conditioner gradually stops cooling, the computer (PCM) may not be sending a signal to the compressor-clutch relay to cycle off, which causes the A/C evaporator to freeze up. (1993-95)
Air conditioner: If water leaks onto the floor on the passenger side or the air conditions stops cooling, the air conditioning drain hose might be blocked. (1993-96)
Automatic transmission: If the transmission will not engage when first started, chances are the torque converter is draining down. A check valve in the fluid line leading to the transmission cooler should remedy the problem. (1993)
Automatic transmission: The transmission won't upshift for about the first quarter mile in cool weather due to defective cast-iron seal rings in the governor drive. (1993-94)
Engine misfire: Rough idle and stalling can be traced to a defective idle-air-control motor. (1993-94)
Fuel pump: If fuel pump may fails, a revised pump assembly should be installed. (1997-98)
Fuel pump: If fuel pump may fails, a revised pump assembly should be installed. (1997-98)
Manual transmission: High shift effort on 5-speed manual transmission may be remedied with a replacement shift shaft lever and shift detent plunger. (1999-98)
Oil consumption and engine knock: Oil-pump-gear wear results in bucking and surging when the engine is warm and lack of lubrication when the engine is cold. (1993)
Oil leak: The rear main seals on 4.0-liter engines are prone to leakage if the vehicle is operated in dirty conditions. (1993-96)
Oil leak: A chronic oil leak at the filter on 5.2-liter engine is likely due to a warped adapter plate. (1995)
Transmission leak: Automatic-transmission fluid leaks from the speed sensor in the transmission. (1993-94)
Vehicle shake: If camber alignment cannot be brought into spec, countermeasure offset ball joints are available. (1997-98)
Vehicle shake: If camber alignment cannot be brought into spec, countermeasure offset ball joints are available. (1997-98)

Consumer Guide® Estimated Repair Costs
This table lists costs of likely repairs for comparison with other vehicles. The dollar amount includes the cost of the part(s) and labor (based on $50 per hour) for the typical repair without extras or add-ons. Like the pricing information, replacement costs can vary widely depending on region. Expect charges at a new-car dealership to be slightly higher.

Item NameRepair Cost
A/C Compressor$390
Alternator$360
Automatic Transmission or Transaxle$700
Brakes$300
Clutch, Pressure Plate, Bearing$375
Exhaust System$270
Radiator$380
Shocks and/or Struts$155
Timing Chain or Belt$195
Universal Joints$135

NHTSA Recall History
1993: Eccentric cam-adjuster bolts in both front lower-suspension arm-to-front axle-bracket attachments may fail, causing vehicle to pull to one side.
1993: Molded plastic pin that connects upper and lower steering-column shafts may be sheared; shafts could separate, causing total loss of steering control.
1993: Retainer clip that secures master-cylinder input rod to brake pedal could work loose, allowing separation, which may cause loss of braking.
1993: Safety improvement campaign advises that center rear seat belt buckle may not be accessible for cargo stowage when right side of seatback is folded down.
1993-98 in 15 states and Washington, D.C.: Front-disc brake rotors can experience severe corrosion if operated for extensive period in "salt belt"; can eventually compromise structural integrity, allowing wear surface to separate from hub.
1995: Parking-brake release button can separate, so brake may not hold and vehicle could roll inadvertently.
1996 w/Quadra-Trac, temporary spare tire, and 225/70R16 or 245/70R15 tires: When temporary spare tire is in use, front axle can overheat; can force fluid out of seals, increasing risk of fire.
1996: Fasteners that secure alternator fuse could have improper clamp load; arcing could cause fire in engine compartment.
1997: Airbag could deploy inadvertently when ignition is shut off.
1997: Fuel-level sending unit degrades over time, causing gauge to show significantly more fuel in tank than is actually present.
1998: Power-brake booster-vacuum reservoir diaphragm can split or tear; may cause increase in engine idle speed and loss of power brake assist.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:15 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 V8

Wow. Im not sure where you got that. But that is not the cost of repair for those items. Wow. That a bad source there. Im not sure on the main problems they have but the cost of that repair is unbelievable. That seems like someone is trying to scare people away from these jeeps. I dont know what to think there.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by xtreme velocity
Wow. Im not sure where you got that. But that is not the cost of repair for those items. Wow. That a bad source there. Im not sure on the main problems they have but the cost of that repair is unbelievable. That seems like someone is trying to scare people away from these jeeps. I dont know what to think there.

Thats probably not that far off considering they are most likely using dealer shop rates. My local stealer charges $88 per hour for labor and that is considered low for some areas.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:15 PM

Thanks for sharing those info...
The repair costs are a little higher than actual rates here but still considerable...
Old 09-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Seasoned Member

I am looking at GCs on craigslist and notice a lot if not all that seem like a great deal end up being a great deal because the trans is bad. Why do they have trans issues? My sister had one years ago and also had a bad trans. She also ended up having it blow out on her while driving after it was repaired a few days earlier.
Edit,: o and my buddy has one with a bad trans also. This one is due to the previous owners son driving after the trans cooler line broke and most of the fluid ended up on the ground.

Last edited by ToyComa; 09-11-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

The 42RE was just not a good tranny. I can't think of another way to put it. It was used behind the 4.0l ZJs.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Seasoned Member

So the autotrans in a Cherokee will not work in the Grand Cherokee? He wants to buy a parts cherokee to fix the Grand Cherokee but we just found out today that his 91 Cherokee has something wrong in the front axel because the 4wd doesnt work. The transfercase is fine and the front drive shaft spings but no 4wd. Can we use the front axle in the 93 GC in the 91 Cherokee so long as the gearing is correct? Maybe he can get a Cherokee with a bad motor and use the motor from the Grand Cherokee and use the axel from the Grand Cherokee in his current Cherokee.

Last edited by ToyComa; 09-12-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:45 AM

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L "AMC" I-6
Default I've got a 42RE with over 200k miles on it, somehow....

Originally Posted by whowey
The 42RE was just not a good tranny. I can't think of another way to put it. It was used behind the 4.0l ZJs.
I've got a '95 Grand Cherokee Laredo (2WD, 4.0L) with the infamous 42RE transmission. It recently hit 200,000 miles and has NEVER had any major engine/transmission repairs- just routine maintenance for the last 15 years!

My parents bought it new in 12/94 and was my mom's daily driver for the first 11 years. It's a safe bet that being pampered and driven gently has played a big factor in its longevity.

It also came with the Trailer Towing Prep Group (beefed up radiator and power steering pump, 3.73 axle ratio AND auxiliary transmission oil cooler). I've wondered it that could be part of the reason it has lasted so long?