Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

gas in oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:56 AM
pwb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default gas in oil?

Hi, my oil level is 0.5cm (1/5") over top level. I only use the car 2-3 times a week on small trips (8-10km). It has also been standing long time in idle to get hot and ice free in the winter before using it. Is it possible that the oil level is higher beacuse of that? Gas could get in the oil if it stands in idle long time and/or small trips? Its not water since the water level is fine and there isnt any oil in the water, and if i smell on the oil when its hot its smells a litle gas and exhaust.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:07 AM

Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by pwb
Hi, my oil level is 0.5cm (1/5") over top level. I only use the car 2-3 times a week on small trips (8-10km). It has also been standing long time in idle to get hot and ice free in the winter before using it. Is it possible that the oil level is higher beacuse of that? Gas could get in the oil if it stands in idle long time and/or small trips? Its not water since the water level is fine and there isnt any oil in the water, and if i smell on the oil when its hot its smells a litle gas and exhaust.

Simplest way to check for gas in the oil is take a lighter and try to light your dipsick. If it flares and catches you have gas in the oil. I have never heard of gas getting into the oil becuase of long idle time or short trips...
Old 03-26-2012, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

your getting the measurement from your dip stick? You sure its not coolant in there?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 AM

Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

How many kilometers are on your Jeep? I have heard of fuel in the oil due to worn piston rings. Fuel and air will get past the piston rings on the compression cycle. However, there would a few other noticable problems if this were the case. Loss of power being the most noticeable. How does she drive?

Are noticing that the oil level is rising?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:50 AM
pwb

280.000km, its not coolant in the oil. I have read many places that small trips and idle is getting gas in the oil, and when driving the car hot and long then the gas and exhaust vapors out of the oil. She is driving nice. This is the first winter im having her :-) I did use seafoam in the throttle some months ago + one can in the gas, could that have taken away some "stuff" on the piston rings? When i got new tires 235/75/15 (winter) the MPG is at 12, but thats with only small trips and a lot of idle (warming up and getting the ice of the windows). The engine sound very nice and after the seafoem its silent too :-). I will try a lighter at the dipstick to see what happens.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:55 AM
pwb

Originally Posted by dacr89
Simplest way to check for gas in the oil is take a lighter and try to light your dipsick. If it flares and catches you have gas in the oil. I have never heard of gas getting into the oil becuase of long idle time or short trips...
It didnt flare or catches at all, but what the smallest ratio oil/gas it could be before it would flare/catches?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 AM

Can you smell the dipstick? Oil and Gas have two very distinct smells.

Are you noticing that the oil level is rising over time?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:03 AM

I agree with GI you can tell by smelling. If it didnt catch/flare then the gas in very minimual. When was the last ol change? I know it sounds wierd but I had an '89 Firebird that read a little over on the dipstick and it was sludge build up in the bottom on the oil pan. Not sure how common of a problem that is. But hey, you never know.

Last edited by dacr89; 03-26-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Add/Remove info
Old 03-26-2012, 10:19 AM

What makes you so sure it isnt coolant?
x2, what color is the oil?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:30 AM
pwb

If it catches on fire easily it has gas in the oil. What makes you so sure it isnt coolant?
The coolant level is in the sam place as when i flushed and filled the system last summer. And there isnt any oil in the coolant. How much liquid (water or gas) is it needed to rasie the oil level with 1/5-1/4" on the dipstick? When its cold it dont smell much gas, maybe a litle. When its hot its smells a litle gas but much more exchaust. But to be sure, is it possible to tell if its water in the oil in a easy way? The color is light brown on the dipstick, it feels like oil to if i compare to new oil.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by pwb
The coolant level is in the sam place as when i flushed and filled the system last summer. And there isnt any oil in the coolant. How much liquid (water or gas) is it needed to rasie the oil level with 1/5-1/4" on the dipstick? When its cold it dont smell much gas, maybe a litle. When its hot its smells a litle gas but much more exchaust. But to be sure, is it possible to tell if its water in the oil in a easy way? The color is light brown on the dipstick, it feels like oil to if i compare to new oil.

When you say "coolant level" do you mean the overflow tank? Well seing as how the oil pan is 5qt it wouldn't take a whole lot to raise the level. maybe a couple oz, I don't know how to say that in metric terms. When you smell gas is the Jeep running or turned off? As for the exaust smell it could be a leak or blow-by.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 AM
pwb

When you say "coolant level" do you mean the overflow tank? Well seing as how the oil pan is 5qt it wouldn't take a whole lot to raise the level. maybe a couple oz, I don't know how to say that in metric terms. When you smell gas is the Jeep running or turned off? As for the exaust smell it could be a leak or blow-by.
Yes, its the overflow tank. The gas smell from the oil is when running, when not running or cold the gas smell isnt so much, then its more like exhaust from a "two stroker"? I will order some compression tester to test the compression, i have only tested the coolant for co2 (chemical test kit) and that was ok. Could i use a standard compression tester or do i need to use one that use compressed air?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:47 AM

Ok, if the oil color is light brown and clear then there is no coolant in the oil. It would seem cloudy and almost milky if there was coolant present.

I do not want to insult your intelligence, but are you checking the oil in the same manner every time? Just trying to eliminate all variables here. Jeep on level ground, engine cold, before being turned on. When was the last time you changed the oil?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by pwb
Yes, its the overflow tank. The gas smell from the oil is when running, when not running or cold the gas smell isnt so much, then its more like exhaust from a "two stroker"? I will order some compression tester to test the compression, i have only tested the coolant for co2 (chemical test kit) and that was ok. Could i use a standard compression tester or do i need to use one that use compressed air?

You can use a standard compression tester. I will almost bet that you have low compression on two cylinders. If thats the case, you can TEMPORARILY use a thicker oil to help seal the pistons.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:57 AM
pwb

Originally Posted by GI-Jeepin'
Ok, if the oil color is light brown and clear then there is no coolant in the oil. It would seem cloudy and almost milky if there was coolant present.

I do not want to insult your intelligence, but are you checking the oil in the same manner every time? Just trying to eliminate all variables here. Jeep on level ground, engine cold, before being turned on. When was the last time you changed the oil?
I changed the oil last summer, but i have raised the car with new springs from OME (1") and maybe its not in the same level as before?

Quick Reply: gas in oil?