Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Fuel pump wiring???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a problem with a wire connection somewhere related to the fuel pump... Please forgive my lack of technical knowledge but I'll do my best to describe it. The fuel pump is brand new, a few weeks after it was replaced (and a trip to the mountains in PA Iwas driving back to SC and broke down. I stalled out twice in PA, but thought it was because I shifted out of 4wd wrong and didn't think about it cuz I had no more problems till back in SC. An angel of a guy spent about 45 min with me trying to find the problem and I couldn't believe it- He got the jeep to run by squeezing a plastic connection on a wire that sits on top of the gas tank. That's definitely the problem because it's been fine again till yesterday, longer story short this is what I need to fix. Is this a piece I can buy at a parts store and replace? (I have roommates that would be able to do that for me) Any help would be VERY appreciated, tomorrow is 1/2 shifts I have to drive almost 2 hours to my station and there's not a lot of great places for me to break down and be crawling under the jeep lol (It's a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee)
Old 03-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

First of all, welcome to CF!

You're probably going to have to replace the connecter on the fuel pump. You may be able to get this at your Jeep dealer, but because it's a 94, you may have to get one out of a salvage vehicle. Mopar connecters are weird because they have a locking piece that has to be removed before you can separate the two halves (on a harness connecter) and even then sometimes they get broken. Without the locking clip, they can separate while driving and I'll bet this is your problem. If this wire connects directly to the pump, the locking tang is probably broken and loosing it's connection while you're driving. I've seen "mechanics" lose their patience and just cut the tab to get the job done. Not very professional. Too many shops have the attitude of "out the door, down the road, not my problem."
Old 03-18-2014, 12:31 PM

Thank you so much! Your reply helped me be able to go into the parts store and have an idea of what I was looking for!

So that part for the year and model I have only comes as part of the whole pump, which may actually work in my favor because I am thinking to get it fixed right I may be able to go to the store it was bought (in January, hello warranty! )

But in the mean time, any thoughts on a zip tie for a temporary fix? The employee in the parts store was confident that may actually be all I need to do at all, any reason I should be concerned with this method? (It's going to be my only option tonight so I can make the commute to work in the morning. )

Thank you again for the help!!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:40 AM

So quickly figured out last night electrical tape would work much better, so : stores later for some tape and one fantastic medic I work with to tape it for me so it had a better chance of being done right... I made it home without it even sputtering once.

However. The fuel gauge that was reading for the first time since I've had the Jeep... Isn't reading anymore. I've been calculating the mileage to know when I need gas so it's not that big of a deal, but still going to go by the store when I can and see if they can do anything.

Thanks again for the help!!!