Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Fuel Pump? 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 03:47 PM
amk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fuel Pump? 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

My check engine light came on yesterday,today when I started it up,it kinda stuttered but started,while driving it seemed like it was slower,sputtering.Went in store came out and it started but again stuttered,while driving it started sputtering like it was going to stall,tried making it home but the power started to go very low,wipers were slow,speed guage went all crazy then just stopped working,i turned off radio and light thinking it was battery? tried making it home but it just died and wouldnt start up. tow truck guy said a fuel pump maybe? I have replaced (in the past 6 months) the alternator,starter,battery,water pump and thermostat plus some hose to the radiator.Love my jeep but its starting to be a money pit ,could this be the fuel pump? it wont start ,when i try to start it,its just makes a sound of almost like clicking and will not turn over but radip lights etc come on
Old 04-02-2012, 10:28 AM

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L

Have you done a tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

well if you just have clicking when trying to start then you don't have connection to starter properly. I would clean your battery really well and make sure those are connected. I guess if you been cranking it it may not have enough juice left to turn the starter but will allow lights and radio to work.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like you may have multiple issues with the Jeep. First, as pointed out get the battery charged, clean the battery cables at battery, starter and ground. You need to start with a fully charged battery, good, clean and tight battery cables. The engine should then crank at a good cranking speed. If the engine still clicks and does not turn over, you have an electrical issue that needs troubleshooting. You may, also, want to have the battery load tested even though it may be new. Just to be sure it is still in good shape.