Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Fuel flow issues solved

Old 04-21-2010, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fuel flow issues solved

My son has a '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2WD, 4 liter 6. It had issues with starting, occasional engine roughness and it would stall briefly when making a left hand turn with less than 1/4 tank of gas. I've seen that symptom posted other places, so I'm posting what I found.

I dropped the fuel tank and replaced the entire fuel pump assembly with a new $200 Bosch unit from CarQuest. I found that the strainer screen had come loose and was floating in the tank and upon close examination, that there was a little piece of rubber wedged in the fuel pump inlet. It may have been from the rubber feet on the bottom of the pump assembly.

Also, the spring action that holds the pump to the bottom of the tank was not moving freely and may have jammed in a position slightly above the bottom of the tank.

New pump/fuel sending unit works fine. Took about two hours to replace. Most difficult part was getting the filler and vent hoses off in the tight spaces and jacking the tank back into position. The Haynes manual covers it pretty well.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by tarheel77
My son has a '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2WD, 4 liter 6. It had issues with starting, occasional engine roughness and it would stall briefly when making a left hand turn with less than 1/4 tank of gas. I've seen that symptom posted other places, so I'm posting what I found.

I dropped the fuel tank and replaced the entire fuel pump assembly with a new $200 Bosch unit from CarQuest. I found that the strainer screen had come loose and was floating in the tank and upon close examination, that there was a little piece of rubber wedged in the fuel pump inlet. It may have been from the rubber feet on the bottom of the pump assembly.

Also, the spring action that holds the pump to the bottom of the tank was not moving freely and may have jammed in a position slightly above the bottom of the tank.

New pump/fuel sending unit works fine. Took about two hours to replace. Most difficult part was getting the filler and vent hoses off in the tight spaces and jacking the tank back into position. The Haynes manual covers it pretty well.
Thanks for the post. Should be helpful to others.
And Welcome to CF!
Dan
Old 04-21-2010, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Thanks. These forums are great. I spend most of my time on Miata.net, which appears to use the same forum software.