Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Fog lights stay on with high beams

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990, 1997 Grand Cherokee
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 1995 ho using renix system
Default Fog lights stay on with high beams

Hello Everyone !
I have just picked up my 2 jeep . This one is a 1997 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo . Can some one direct me to a link . Or has someone done this ? I want to keep my foglights factory switch and wiring . But I would like to make them stay on with the high beams . I belief my relays for them are on the inside passengers kick panel as I don't see any in the box in the engine bay . I am sure that you guys being smart can help me out !
Thanks in advance !
Brad
Old 11-05-2017, 09:15 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Best answer to that is to install a separate switch and relay in parallel with the stock wiring. Just be sure to wire the relay trigger to an ignition source so they go out with the key off in case you forget. What worked for me was a tap off the cigarette lighter socket.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Dave's right because there would be too much current for stock switch, harness and relay to support and that can cause meltdowns/fires. You'll need to go aftermarket.

When adding a high intensity harness/kit to my '99 XJ, I hunted-down the wire that would cause the fogs to switch-off when high-beams were switched-on. The fog lamp "disable" wire was a tap near the lamp in the driver-side high-beam lamp circuit. The voltage on that circuit would cause the fog-lamp relay to disengage. I traced it back (using the FSM wiring diagrams) to the PDC and was able to rewire from the stock relay terminal to an unused switch in one of the two relays of the aftermarket set-up. This allowed me to run both the stock fogs and a set of Hellas simultaneously.