Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

flexplate issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 L V8
Default flexplate issues

HELP! My 94 grand cherokee limited v8 5.2L died today. I went to leave and it wouldn't start. On friday my boyfriend put a new starter in (remanufactured the $100 one) I started it and drove it 6 times total from the time it was put in. It made a horrible grinding sound when it first would turn on but then disappear and return to its normal purr. Now it won't turn on at all. It almost sounds like the starter isn't connecting but I can't be sure. Did it really eat through the gears that fast? My dad thinks it could just need a shim, but I don't know what size to even get for that?
Old 10-21-2014, 11:38 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

IDK for sure, but you may have gotten the wrong starter. Let me relate something that happened to me with my '67 Chevrolet Camaro. It was a 4-speed manual transmission and when I bought a replacement starter (New, not rebuilt) they gave me one for an automatic. The difference in length is only about 3/8" which I never noticed. It proceeded to chew up the ring gear on my flywheel. I got the right one free, but I had to replace my flywheel at my cost. IDK what a Dodge starter looks like, but shims usually only work on starters that have bolts that are 90* to the axis of the starter drive. They are to adjust the depth of the tooth engagement, not the length the gear moves into the teeth. It's possible you have several teeth missing on the flexplate. Try turning the engine a little by the damper on the front of the engine, then hit the starter. If it turns over then, that's the problem. The engine just happened to stop where the teeth are missing. You can also remove the inspection plate and visually check the teeth.

In my application, there were 4 different starters for the Chevy 350; a standard and heavy duty for the manual, and a standard and a heavy duty for the automatic. At the time, I wasn't aware there were more than 1.

Good luck with yours and please post what you find out. It may help someone else.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 L V8

Originally Posted by dave1123
Welcome to CF!

IDK for sure, but you may have gotten the wrong starter. Let me relate something that happened to me with my '67 Chevrolet Camaro. It was a 4-speed manual transmission and when I bought a replacement starter (New, not rebuilt) they gave me one for an automatic. The difference in length is only about 3/8" which I never noticed. It proceeded to chew up the ring gear on my flywheel. I got the right one free, but I had to replace my flywheel at my cost. IDK what a Dodge starter looks like, but shims usually only work on starters that have bolts that are 90* to the axis of the starter drive. They are to adjust the depth of the tooth engagement, not the length the gear moves into the teeth. It's possible you have several teeth missing on the flexplate. Try turning the engine a little by the damper on the front of the engine, then hit the starter. If it turns over then, that's the problem. The engine just happened to stop where the teeth are missing. You can also remove the inspection plate and visually check the teeth.

In my application, there were 4 different starters for the Chevy 350; a standard and heavy duty for the manual, and a standard and a heavy duty for the automatic. At the time, I wasn't aware there were more than 1.

Good luck with yours and please post what you find out. It may help someone else.

Thanks for your help!! I ended up taking it to a shop, the starter I had bought had been dropped and it had a mushroom top. This not allowing it to lock into place, we thought it was the wrong one as well but we got it filed down and put in, luckily it didn't damage anything too badly
Old 10-22-2014, 12:32 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Cool! I love it when it's something simple.