Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

First jeep, help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default First jeep, help!

Okay so first off ive been working on/building hondas for track and street use for the past few years, so i am used to constantly working on and dumping money into my daily driver but the jeep is a whole new ball game. i got this zj for 1200 dollars at a buy here pay here, i work at an auto parts store so parts werent so much an issue, since owning it ive replaced the sway bar end links, steering stabilizer, track bar, tires, alignment, tune up, oil pan and valve cover gaskets, intake manifold/exhaust gasket and exhaust manifold cause of the jeep crack. any way when i bought the jeep it was 2wd, the stubs are still in the hub but it looks like the rest of the shafts been melted off with a torch, the front diff spins like a skate board bearing and its leaking trans fluid like mad from a little hole inbetween the transfercase and the trans which ive read is the seals. well i know i can drop the tcase and change them, but since i want to fix the 4wd can i not go from the awd case and broke **** thats in there to the 2wd-4wd select from a earlier cherokee? if so what exactly do i need to find to do so, i dont wanna drop the transfercase twice. thanks for reading any help would be appreciated
Old 03-31-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

you can swap out to a 242 t/c that will give you selectable 2/4wd, but you about need to find a donor jeep because you will need the t/c, linkages, shifter, console... etc. most of the jeeps with the 4.0 will have the selectable transfer case, the v8 models were full time 4x4. the probably cut the front shafts out because the viscous coupler went out in the full time unit. I had a full time transfer case rebuilt a 6 or 7 years ago and the coupler alone was $500... total job with labor was $1200. never bought another full time 4x4 jeep....