Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Factory sunroof service and repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 10:01 PM
HP2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: pair of 99s
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Factory sunroof service and repair

Okay, after searching about 1000 different posts and replies and finding nothing related to fixing a factory sunroof, does anyone have a reference on servicing the factory sunroof?

One of my recent acquisitions has a factory power sunroof and it is very touchy getting it to sit just right so it seals all the way around. It also moves very slow and does not fully open. I know I need to pull the headliner and start looking at all the tracks and related mechanisms to see what I see first, but anyone with some factory service info they could share would be appreciated as I'm sure I'll run into some questions with it.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:37 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

Now that the forum has decided to remove all vehicle information from the profile box, it's difficult to know where to start without knowing your jeep's year, model, and location, HOWEVER my suggestion is to go to a dealer's body shop and talk to the technicians. You may find a friendly guy who'll tell you what to look for, then again you may not! It's the best place to start, anyway.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Engine: 4.7

I am in a love/hate relationship with my sunroof. I wasn't looking for one when I was searching for my JEEP(2000 wj/Laredo). I find it annoying to have it open when I am driving. I don't like the sunlight shining down on me. I find it distracting.I don't use it very often. It looks cool though. Better than just the solid roof and might help with re-sale some day. Mine works fine though. My thought for you is to hit the rails with some silicone spray. Its a dry lubricant and it just may help loosen things up and help it slide, unless there is a reason not to, that i don't know about. probably not much help. But that would be my first move.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:02 AM
HP2

Originally Posted by dave1123
Welcome to CF!

Now that the forum has decided to remove all vehicle information from the profile box, it's difficult to know where to start without knowing your jeep's year, model, and location, HOWEVER my suggestion is to go to a dealer's body shop and talk to the technicians. You may find a friendly guy who'll tell you what to look for, then again you may not! It's the best place to start, anyway.
Thank you. Thats a good idea, but I'd hate to bother these guys who are being paid flat rate for their time.

In this case, its a '98 GC Limited. Yes, I'm hoping it help resale, if I can get it to work. A non functional one, or worse, one that leaks, is only a liability.

Previous owner wasn't much help in giving details on it. All of the covering material on the cover has been peeled off it, so I'm hoping it has simply been all wadded up back in headliner area and is clogging up the tracks.

I've found some factory service manuals on Amazon in the $100-200 range. I may try to get one of these as that price isn't too radically bad. I've seen some previously that were going for $600 which is stupid high.

Last edited by HP2; 01-02-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:20 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Thank you. Thats a good idea, but I'd hate to bother these guys who are being paid flat rate for their time.

Hit them on their lunch time! LOL! I found it amusing when I drove into a Dodge bodyshop in my 37 2-door! I think I had everybody in the dealership look at it that day! It wasn't a classic either, just a cheap hotrod. The headliner was rotted out over the top of the windshield and I wanted to know the best way to fix it. It seems the guy before me pulled it out to replace the vacuum hoses for the wiper motors and hadn't bothered to put it back into the trim.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:05 AM
HP2

Good idea. I've got a '74 Challenger that may generate the same kind of interest.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:50 PM
HP2

Score! Found a pair of manuals on Ebay for $100. Got the 96-98 Grand Cherokee Body Diagnostics Manual and '98 Service Procedures Manual. That's half the price they going for on Amazon for and I scored free shipping.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by dave1123
Welcome to CF!

Dave I agree a very poor decision to remove the user CP info now we have nothing to go by when trying to help someone, that is where I looked first and if not filled in suggested that they did so ASAP for the best help quickly.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:19 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Yeah, I PM'd Outlaw Star about it and he said it was out of his hands.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:21 AM
HP2

So finally got deep into this. Factory service manual gives a lot of instruction on dis-assembly, remove, and replace, but isn't so great on trouble shooting. Near as I could figure, I have issues with the cable assembly on both sides along with cable housing retention and some cracked pieces in the lift mechanism. Replaced cracked pieces and could get it to all move correctly, but once it took a set, whether tilted up, slid back, or slid forward, it would lock and require the motor to be dropped and cables reset. After messing with it for a couple days, I put it all back together once last time, moved it to the full upright lock position, and left it. I put the headliner all back together and did not plug in the harness to the switch to avoid any inadvertent movement by passengers pushing the switch. Can still slide the cover open, but I got it closed well enough to avoid leaking. Guess I'll live with that.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:53 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Yeah, it's probably much like a power window regulator. The motor drives a plastic gear that actually moves the cable. the gear teeth strip and it creases to function.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:37 PM
HP2

They actually are pretty stout. The gear on the motor is steel with some pretty sharp teeth on it. The cables are weird, they have normal twisted steel cable but it looks like some sort of fabric material is twisted in the windings as well. Not sure if that is for bite, lube, or quiet operation. There is also a small microprocessor board in the assembly, so any number of things that can fail in it all.

The local Pull and Pay had a sunroof ZJ, but after two days of messing with it, I didn't want to play any more, so now its button up and leak resistant.