Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Engine Light 2010 GC Laredo

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Engine Light 2010 GC Laredo

My wife & I recently purchased a 2010 Laredo 6 cylinder Grand Cherokee that looks in beautiful condition. At first, the system warning light of "check gascap" came on. The dealer replaced the gas cap and shortly afterwards the yellow check engine light came on. As I began to seek online help to shut the thing off, it began to look like the Jeep Laredo was made by several manufacturers. I am hoping that I do not come to regret this purchase.

One site suggested reset of the engine line could be done by switching the ignition on an depressing the gas pedal three times. Must work on some Jeeps, but not this Jeep.

Another site showed switching the ignition on between three and five times would reset the engine light. Probably works on some 2010 Jeeps, but not this Jeep.

Another site posted that the way to reset the engine light involves bringing up the settings menu (Message shows all systems are OK even though the yellow engine light remains on) and then pressing the reset button three times. Supposedly works on some Jeeps, but not this Jeep.

This situation reminds me of old International vans wherein the glove box contained a two-page dense, small font typewritten list of parts in the vehicle that were nonstandard. You really could not rely on anything that was consistent between their vehicles. The fact that there can be so many variations on a vehicle named "Grand Cherokee" makes me wonder just how many manufacturers are involved in making Jeeps and if there are any standards that an owner can rely on.

The windshield washers did not work, and dealer traced it to a bad switch in the steering column. Only one of the two 12-volt outlets has power. For a 2010 car, this seems like a lot of electrical problems that reliable cars, even ones much older, simply do not have.

I've exhausted three options with no solutions to get the check engine light off. Are there any others? I'm not disconnecting the battery until I learn the reason it is cropping up. For the moment I am quickly losing confidence in this car.