Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

engine help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question engine help

here is my situation. i have a 98 grand cherokee limited that i took mudding, and i ran through about a foot and a half of water. my engine shut off. i took the plugs out and tried to turn the motor over. nothing. checked oil seemed good. got pulled to the house. had trans and trans case in N. tries looking at engine and found no holes/cracks in block. i started looking for replacement engines and such. the other day i was getting something out of the back and my jeep started to role on me while the trans was in park i just dont understand that. so i found a 94 grand cherokee laredo with the same 5.2L V8 and same trans and trans case(all time 4x4) my question is will the swap work and what all would i need to change as far as wiring and other stuff. any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 06-12-2009, 12:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

a 94 5.2(46RH) does not have the same trans as a 98 5.2(44RE),also OBD I and OBD II,i believe it will take some work to get everything to work properly.

When your jeep rolled,was the t-case in N?
Old 06-13-2009, 08:57 AM

I did have the trans case in N whould the wire harnes work if I swaped both engine and trans
Old 06-13-2009, 10:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)

If the transfer case was in neutral it would not matter if the transmission was in park or not. It would still roll. If I'm not mistaken this is how you are supposed to tow one. Transmission in park -transfer case in neutral. Can you turn the motor over by hand??? If it will turn over by hand then sounds like you shorted something out. I don't think you would have gotten water into the cylinders in 18 inches of water.

Last edited by drakan1908; 06-13-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:22 AM

I haven't tried turning the engine by hand I don't have a socket big enough. There was water on the spark plugs when I took them out and when I try to turn it over by starting it the starter sounds like it engages. My trans case is leaking oil now after sitting for a week. I just don't want to take it all apart and it only be a connection problem or a short
Old 06-13-2009, 10:25 AM

When I was towed I had the trans in N and trans case in N as well. Would this mess it up more than what is was already or would it matter
Old 06-13-2009, 04:50 PM
CF Veteran

From what I understand is if you leave the transfer case in 2 wd and the transmission in neutral it causes parts in the transmission to spin and only part of it gets lubrication. So if the transfer case is in neutral then nothing is spinning in the trans.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Engine: 4.0L, 63mm TB, FIPK, Gibson Exhaust

Originally Posted by drakan1908
From what I understand is if you leave the transfer case in 2 wd and the transmission in neutral it causes parts in the transmission to spin and only part of it gets lubrication. So if the transfer case is in neutral then nothing is spinning in the trans.

not true, the friction in the TC will cause the tranny to spin as well, this is why the manual says to put it in park and the TC in neutral. If you went very far it would ruin the tranny.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:07 PM

i did have both the trans and tcase in N today i started looking further and i took the intake and 2 barrel port off and there was water inside also alot of white crud kinda like on a battery when its old and there is battery acid buildup. i have never seen that before. ant i am leaking trans fluid at the t case about in the middle. i am getting a 94 grand cherokee and swapping both the engine and trans w/t-case. if i do that i need to get parts for a 94 for both trans t-case and engine right. i know a little machanic stuff but not a whole lot so thats why i ask. better to ask and save than to assume and pay.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tsconver
not true, the friction in the TC will cause the tranny to spin as well, this is why the manual says to put it in park and the TC in neutral. If you went very far it would ruin the tranny.
Thanks man I knew there was a reason
Old 06-13-2009, 09:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by dwade1986
i did have both the trans and tcase in N today i started looking further and i took the intake and 2 barrel port off and there was water inside also alot of white crud kinda like on a battery when its old and there is battery acid buildup. i have never seen that before. ant i am leaking trans fluid at the t case about in the middle. i am getting a 94 grand cherokee and swapping both the engine and trans w/t-case. if i do that i need to get parts for a 94 for both trans t-case and engine right. i know a little machanic stuff but not a whole lot so thats why i ask. better to ask and save than to assume and pay.
i would say get everything you can off the 94 including wiring,driveshafts(maybe yokes too) computer,bear in mind your going to be putting a different sized hydraulic controlled tranny in place of an electronic controlled one. I'm sure it can be done but i think it will be a headache...good luck
Old 06-14-2009, 06:50 AM

Hey guys thanks for the help. I will have a fun time a head of me. I will let everyone know how the swap goes.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:55 AM

How do I test for a shot on the trans and whatever other parts are causing my problem
Old 06-14-2009, 07:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by dwade1986
I haven't tried turning the engine by hand I don't have a socket big enough. There was water on the spark plugs when I took them out and when I try to turn it over by starting it the starter sounds like it engages. My trans case is leaking oil now after sitting for a week. I just don't want to take it all apart and it only be a connection problem or a short
With the plugs removed you should be able to rotate it by hand using the serp. belt, unless there's damage. JMO
Old 06-15-2009, 08:20 AM

I tried with the serp belt and all I could move was the tensioner. I tried to turn the flywheel and still nothing. It sounds like the starter is engaging but the flywheel is caught. I had a problem with this on my 79 custom deluxe where my flywheel broke in the middle and that caused it to stick and not turn over. When I ran my jeep throught the water it shut off, then I tried to start it the engine would turn over and I just thought the battery was low form the water so I gave it a little while and dried it off. When I tried to turn it over again it started for a split second and shut off again I think I may have bent a rod. I just bought a 94 JGC to swap engine and trans then I am going to rebuild the engine that is locked up and take the 94 and build into a trail rig.

Quick Reply: engine help