Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

electrical short blower motor & data display

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default electrical short blower motor & data display

my 97 Grand Cherokee unlimited/orvis has suddenly developed an electrical issue that manifests itself as: the blower motor will run (by itself) if I put the fuse in, and the driver data display will flash while running. Also if the blower fuse is in vehicle will not start, just crank. If I turn the headlights on display will flash for tail light error, but they work. and it started flashing windshield? aftert I used the wipers/washer. any thoughts? any connectors to suspect? With the blower fuse removed it will start and run fine except for they data display issues. ??????
Old 02-16-2017, 07:06 PM

I don't know if you need an electrician or an exorcist.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:09 PM

Sorry couldn't help myself. I'd start by checking all the grounds. At least al the issues except the blower motor sound like a grounding problem, but the blower motor is getting juice from somewhere and the switch aint stopping it so maybe a chaffed wire in the harness,

Last edited by Cleman Simpson; 02-16-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

I'd second the exorcist, as well as following up with the grounds.

Any chance someone recently hit your power distribution center or junction box with a large hammer?

Also, automatic or manual temperature control?
Old 02-19-2017, 06:56 PM

it is auto temp control and power everything. It had sat for a few weeks and when I went to start it had these problems! sat outside in snow and ice, but nothing to instigate wire rubbing, etc. I am thinking water down firewall or leak around windshield (but no signs of a leak). when it warms up some more I am going to try pulling the data display and unplugging it to see if that helps. not sure which plug on firewall goes to the heater blower? well keep the ideas coming. thanx jim
Old 02-19-2017, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

I'll let you know if I think of anything.. I've got something similarly strange on mine. I redid the entire sound system, and now the new stereo beeps sporadically and tries to activate Bluetooth. The thing is, it only does that when at least one of the windows is rolled down at least a few inches.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:17 PM

Back when I was a young man my mother would only drive them big cadillacs. she especially liked fleetwoods and I would spend at least one weekend a month chasing down electrical shorts and replacing window motors and switches etc. After about ten years of this I finally told her to trade that piece of crap Fleetwood in or be prepared to pay the dealership to fix it cause I was through. So she bought a new Plymouth fury and made me a happy man. Now I climb in one of the new cars we buy and they make that old Fleetwood look like childs play. It is NOT a better world.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:50 PM

When I was down in South Texas last summer I was driving my 2015 Ram 1500 with only 10,000 miles on it. The second morning I was there I left the motel way before daylight and hadn't made it half a mile before the engine cut out for moment then the check engine light came on. to make a long story short a rat had eaten into the wiring harness to the upstream O2 sensor and the passenger side and before it was all said and done it needed all four O2 sensors and the computer and several other sensors replaced. All the opportunity a rat needs is for you to stop moving for a night.