Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Electrical gremlin HELP?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Electrical gremlin HELP?????

as I have said before I am new to owning a cherokee. Not much seems to follow normal when owning one of these. I have a 93 GC with a 4.0 automatic and power everything 137,XXXmiles owned by the same guy for the last 10 years who swears he has had no issues. It seems I have a electrical gremlin. Things just quit working. The power locks work and then dont. Same with unlocking them. My stero, I thought the factory stero went out so I bought a new one at best buy and it might play for a few seconds and then quit playing music still shows the display but no music. I can change channels and still no music. Then all of a sudden it comes back on maybe for a few more seconds. I have already taken the stero back once and got another brand and model. Power windows work and then they dont. Sometimes it will start super easy and then it takes an act of congress to get it to start. A mechanic thinks it is the pickup plate in the distributer for my starting issues. On the display it always says check oil level. I do and it is fine. Some time the battery guage shows mid guage and other times it show charging more then 14 volt (according to the factory guage) I myself seem to think I have a bad ground. Is there special places I should be looking for a ground?? What are the most common gound areas that I should make sure are ok. Would a heavier guage wire for the grounding straps work better or make my own grounding straps??? Is it even electrical? Maybe I have connectors that are corroded and not making good contact?? Remove the radiator cap and drive aonther rig under it?? Help I am on old fart and not much hair left and this rig is taking what I have left.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

if its 4.0 and like a xj cherokee theres one by the oil dipstick tube ,one rear of cylinder head on friewall , head to passenger side firewall,should be small one from battery to fender area... dont blame the jeep on the hair loss it comes naturaly to us old guys...lol...and welcome to the forum good luck

Last edited by freegdr; 10-31-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

alot of use full info here http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
Old 10-31-2011, 06:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee

On the radio problem, check for a grounded speaker. My drivers door
speaker shorted and caused mine to do the same.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by PatriotGT
On the radio problem, check for a grounded speaker. My drivers door
speaker shorted and caused mine to do the same.
PatriotGT you are the man!!! I unplugged the wires from the right b-pillar and got music. Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help........... Also Thank you to everyone else helping out.

I now have another question on my speakers. When testing the speaker plug that plugs into the back of the stero with my test light I have power coming from both front speaker wires with the stero disconnected. Is this normal??