Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Electrical Courtesy Light Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001 and 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Smile Electrical Courtesy Light Problem.

Hi my first post here. Jeep owner in the UK since 92. Currently have a 2001 GCL with an engine problem so just bought another 2004 GCT while its in the shop.

However while my 2001 car has never had any electrical gremlins the `new' 2004 one does with its interior lights.

So... footwell lights and glove box work fine all come on and fade at all the right moments. However the dome ( map ) rear passenger and storage area interior lights do not work until ignition is turned on.

Then the real mystery occurs they work backwards. So turn on the ignition ( with a door open ) and then if you close the door they fade on and when you open the doors again they fade off.

Also if you manually switch one light on and then another they both dim to half brightness suggesting a short somewhere.

I have studied the wiring diagram to the Body Control Unit and see the footwells and glove are on a separate circuit but cant see though if both the map ( x2 ) lights are connected with the rear passenger and storage area light.

Any deductions based on the happenings would be helpful as to where to start the hunt.

Thanks

Last edited by JayintheUK; 01-12-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001 and 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Smile Interior Lights Fixed

Just thought i would share this info for any soul out there with the same issue.

After studying the wiring diagram for some days on the ins and outs of Body Control unit , then swapping out fuses, i noticed the circuit out for the interior lights also contained the rear wipers and cargo lock , and as they were fine i looked for connections after that splice.

The interior lights are spliced off the same output and there is a connector C309 in the service manual , in the rear quarter upright at the back of the car.

All the roof overhead interior lights are connected into the wiring loom at that point. And that's where the issue was.

A single wire (pink ) had come out loose from its connector pin. I would suspect that the slamming of the rear boot door over time had loosened it. It took seconds to push it back in and hey presto they all worked the right way.

My guess is that without this feed the lights were shorting out and the BCM was reporting the lights to be on when off.

In the UK that would have cost me about £250 at least just for the dealer to find it or have replace the BCM at whatever the price of that would have been.

Tonight there will be beers to be drunk.

Last edited by JayintheUK; 01-21-2010 at 11:24 AM.