Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

dyi painters

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 05:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder
Default dyi painters

Hello,

I have a 1996 jeep grand cherokee limited.

I kinda like the color (forest green) but the shine has faded off and I have a couple of spots there I want to sand off the surface rust (mostly on the roof) and repaint it.

is if hard to paint the vehicles? what should I be looking for, tools needed, etc. I am not much of a dyi'er per say but oddly people have asked me about vehicle problems thinking I know what I am talking about. I've done from repairs on my jeep and my old jeep, rotors, brakes, shocks, oil changes, transmission gasket and filter, radiator tuneup, regular tuneup, etc more or less easier things. recently had a issue with the vehicle stalling from advice here it was the iac or something like that and the throttle body that was dirty, cleaned those.

wish I would have seen the mechanic work on the doors to my old jeep I like to see what there is to be done.

but certain things I am scared to tackle. one thing I fear is working in the dash of a vehicle due to killing my 76 duster when i was 16 i miss my semi automatic car.

but now that I have a backup vehicle I feel more empowered to tackle stuff i wouldn't before just becasue I don't have the stress of i have to get this done today or i'm screwed feeling.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Look up roller painting and spray painting your car with Rustoleum on Youtube. You can do it for about $100 and I will try it on my old beater Cherokee next Summer.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Since its just a driver i would go to a cheap place like macco and not have to deal with the dust or having it look like crap since your not using a air gun to paint it.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:22 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It's not hard to paint a car if your not looking for a showcase job, however I'm going to tell you right now, if you do it outside, you're going to get bugs and dirt in the finish. That's a given.

My brother decided to paint his Blazer in an aircraft hanger that was empty. He had all the professional tools and spray guns he needed. He swept the floor and wet it down before he started, then tack clothed it to remove the dust before he sprayed it. He was using a deep gun-metal grey that almost looked black. It came out looking perfect. He locked up the hanger and left it for the weekend.

Monday morning he opened up the hanger and found a total mess! He had forgotten about the pigeons roosting in the rafters! I'm not messing with you, this is a true story! He had to do the top parts again.

I've painted a replacement pickup box on my 89 Chevy 4X4 with Rustoleum and a brush and it came out pretty nice for how I did it. I really didn't care too much, I just wanted the color to match and not rust.