Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Do you guys recomend that i seafoam the engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Do you guys recomend that i seafoam the engine ?

I was thinking of getting seafoam for the throttle body to clean the engine out. When i replaced my old spark plugs awhile back they were dirty with carbon buildup on them and the Jeep also seems to idle all the time around 550-600Rpm... Its a 98 GC with 160k miles on it, and its never been cleaned except recently bout a month ago i put some goumot injector cleaner in the gas tank but i dont think it really did much if anything.

Should i get the spray can ? or the liquid bottle ? How exactly do you use this stuff anyway ? I know where the throttle body is but i dont know the process of using it.. Also cleaning the carbon buildup wont hurt a high mileage engine will it ? You know how they say if you get oil with alot of cleaning agents that it can clean alot of the buildup thats keeping it from leaking ect..
Old 07-17-2010, 04:23 PM

With 170,000 on my '94 ZJ, I used almost two containers. First, I fed the prescribed amount through the brake vacuum hose, let it sit after it drank it all, for 15 minutes. Then let it burn out (lots of smoke).

Put three ounces in the crankcase, and fed a can full into the full gas tank.

For me, this worked good. Engine smoother, no puff of oil smoke at startup, and clacking lifter quieted down.

Whether you will get the same results, I don't know.

Disclaimer: Kids, don't try this at home!
Old 07-17-2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by spaceweasel
With 170,000 on my '94 ZJ, I used almost two containers. First, I fed the prescribed amount through the brake vacuum hose, let it sit after it drank it all, for 15 minutes. Then let it burn out (lots of smoke).

Put three ounces in the crankcase, and fed a can full into the full gas tank.

For me, this worked good. Engine smoother, no puff of oil smoke at startup, and clacking lifter quieted down.

Whether you will get the same results, I don't know.

Disclaimer: Kids, don't try this at home!

What do you mean the brake hose ? I thought you put it in the air intake throttle body or whatever
Old 07-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

if you meter it through a vaccum hose while the engine is idling at 1000 rpm you will get the best results. pulling it through the brake vaccum hoses is the quickest easiest method. You can also just stick a vaccum hose in to the can and let the engine idle(put a vise grip on the hose and nearly pinch it closed.) it will pull the stuff in and clean the intake and valves ETC ETC
Then drive it like you stole it to clean it out and stop it from smoking out the neighborhood.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:06 PM

My Jeep doesnt idle at 1k rpm it idles at 550-600. Where is the vacuume hose located on the inline 6 ?
Old 07-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

there are a whole bunch of locations on the intake and you manually raise the idle with your hand
Old 07-18-2010, 10:44 AM

Where are the locations for the hose your talking about tho ? I dont want to just unplug some hose and pour a liquid in there and have it screw up the engine because it was the wrong hose..

By hand i know what your talking about.. Ok ill do that however that isnt IDLE thats giving it gas.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Any hose on the intake that draws vacuum.. you dont pour it in. Vacuum draws it in. Unplug a line, if it sucks to the end of your finger it's drawing vacuum.

You can stick a shim or something inbetween throttle linkage and throttlebody to raise the IDLE to 1K or close. This is what ***** is trying to explain to you.

Go check the definition of idle.. it's not a set RPM. It's the act of a consistent RPM or "idling".
Old 07-18-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
Any hose on the intake that draws vacuum.. you dont pour it in. Vacuum draws it in. Unplug a line, if it sucks to the end of your finger it's drawing vacuum.

You can stick a shim or something inbetween throttle linkage and throttlebody to raise the IDLE to 1K or close. This is what ***** is trying to explain to you.

Ok now do i need to change the oil after i do this ? Or is that only if you pour it into the engine oil ? Im reading people online saying to replace the plugs,oil and filter after you use seasfoam... However iv already replaced all that and other parts maybe 200 miles ago. I dont want to have to replace the oil again because i put a synthetic blend in and it was kinda expensive.. Or do i not have to replace the engine oil if im just using seafoam through the throttlebody and this vacuum hose ?
Old 07-18-2010, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

I would wait to run the seafoam till your due for another oil change. The change the plugs as well.

I'm not a seafoam expert though.. never used it. But have considered it.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
I would wait to run the seafoam till your due for another oil change. The change the plugs as well.

I'm not a seafoam expert though.. never used it. But have considered it.

Well according to their website I don't need to change the oil if I use it in the vacuum hose or throttle body, only if you use it the crankcase. So I guess I don't need to replace the oil again.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:41 PM

Ok so i used the seafoam bottle in the brake vacuum hose and turned the engine off and let it sit for a couple minutes.. When i turned it on and revved the engine there was a tiny amount of black smoke for maybe a couple seconds but then nothing..

So i guess my engine was already clean lol.