Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

dismantling my lift gate

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default dismantling my lift gate

I want to remove the inside panel from the lift gate of my 94 Grand Cherokee Laredo to get to the latch. The lift gate won't open and it doesn't feel like a lock issue. Does anyone know a way to get the plastic panel off from inside without opening it? I don't want to cut any important wires by sawing down the middle and prying it off... Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Just That Awesome

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Mine did this. Climb over the back seat. Cant remember if there are any screws where the bump for the wiper is, but if there are remnove them. Gently pull out on the plastic until you can get your girls arm or a metal coat hanger down there and use it to pull the release rod. Poof opens right up.

In my case i got my whole arm in there and didn't ruin anything. When you're done pull the panel off and adjust the rod/handle, they loose up over the years and cause this problem.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:42 AM

Model: Cherokee

Thanks, Nukinfuts! Next project, how to get my fingers and tools into the metal box that surrounds the handle/rod connection in the lift gate so I can tighten it. Everything else is tight so I guess the problem is there...