Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo/Just bought it and it's broke

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo/Just bought it and it's broke

Please forgive me if I explain or describe something wrong. I do not have knowledge on vehicles, but my brother needs advice to get my jeep running lol.

I just purchased a 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 v6/straight 6. The part I was told it needed was the crankshaft sensor. I was able to test drive it quickly and it ran great! (It sat for a yr and was moved around a field occasionaly. They stated they replaced the coil pack and something with the distruibutor, but it would shut off when it got warm)

My brother just replaced the crankshaft sensor. It was on empty and he used a fuel can to put gas in it. He mentioned the gas opening has something that prevents someone from stealing your gas and he has to get an funnel.

He drove it to the gas station after it ran 10 minutes with no issue and turned it off to go in (one mile from his home) He went back out and it would come on but not crank. He stated the gas gauge read empty, but he just put gas in it. A few times it did crank over and showed the correct gas level and then the jeep died.

Over the next two hours he continued trying to start the jeep while we searched the web for a solution. End result was jeep was towed to a nearby parking lot and we don't know what to do. We did do suggestions about the theft system being affected, unhooked battery, pressed gas while turning on, he checked fuses. I am at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I get a fuel pump or EMC
Old 02-05-2011, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Check the ASD relay before spending money on a PCM or fuel pump.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 AM

Default Thank you

Thanks you. I will tell my brother and post the result. Hopefully I will have good news lol.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

if you turn the key to run dose the pump kick on. if not its the ADS relay or fuel pump relay.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:58 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L6

I have a 97 that sat up as well, we replaced nearly every sensor/relay/plugs/ect.

and it ended up being the CPU itself that was shutting it off, we bought a refurb one and its been running great.

just my $0.02

good luck bud!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:52 PM

Default My Jeep is still sitting

Today we tried to fix the jeep. After 5 hours we gave up for the day. We checked the relays and they are good. The fuel pump is coming on. For some reason it started right up this am, but wouldn't do it again till about 3pm (then stalling) My confusion is why isn't the fuel gauge showing it has gas when it comes on? Electrical? Someone from Georgia mentioned a part im not familiar with, but will be looking up.

So, I bought a car I could turn on and drive till it got warm. Now we replaced the crankshift sensor and it turns on when it wants to lol. We also did the unlock/lock thing thinking it's with the safety device. Then we grounded the purple wire on the driver's door to the truck (mentioned in another post) hoping to bypass the safety.

Thank you for your suggestions. Any help will be greatly appreciated. We need it lol.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Are you getting spark when it won't start, could be a cam sensor issue.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:09 AM

I have let my brother know the suggestions. Thank you! He said that once it gets hot it will not spark. So, we will try the suggestsions and let you know. We are taking a few days away from the jeep, so I'll let you know then.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:45 AM

Engine: 4.0L

Hmmmmm. Intermittant starting and intermittant fuel guage. I'd expect that the connectors for both the fuel pump and the level sender are in the same place on top of the tank. I wonder if they're corroded and causing intermittant connections?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

No spark once the engine gets warm is a nice clue towards the cam sensor/pickup coil failing.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:34 PM

Default Thank you for suggestions. Need more help plz

Hello everyone. The jeep is still sitting. I have let my brother know the last two suggestions. We were wondering if there is a way to test to see if the cam sensor and coil pack are back before we go buy new ones? My brother is also asking on the sensor which side is positive or negative (if that doesn't make sense I understand but I don't understand completely lol)
The jeep has been sitting since Sunday and started right up for him today. He let it run awhile and once it warmed up it died and won't start again.

Also, the parts I am buying are from AutoZone or Advance. Do these need to be dealer parts? I got the crankshaft sensor from Advance. I don't mind getting a $25 cam sensor, but the parts add up.

Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Test for a pulsing ground at the primary side of the coil when the engine won't start, no pulsing ground would lead to the cam sensor.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:16 PM

Default Jeep Is Running, but with a couple issues!!!

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO ASSISTED ME WITH MY ISSUE. It turned out to be the cam sensor (pick up sensdor is what box says) The jeep now runs and does not shut off when hot. I had it towed to where I live and had someone else look at it. (and fix it) But I am confused because my fuel gauge does not work. It shows empty and gas light is on despite it having gas.

When we were trouble shooting it there were a couple times it would turn over and register the gas. Now it says E. Anyone have any suggestions as to what it can be?

Again, Thank you so much. Anyone know how I can purchase a bumper sticker with cherokeeforum on it? Have a great night!
Old 03-13-2011, 12:50 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

I think you got a bad CPS.

It will mess w/your gauges. Are you sure your bro installed it right? When I did mine, I had to redo it because I didn't screw the top bolt all the way in, and it had moved out a bit.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96 Limited ZJ
Engine: 5.2 w/mods

I had problems with my gas gauge always reading dead and turned out to be the level sender on my 97 4.0. Went out multiple times. Replaced it and all was good.

Quick Reply: 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo/Just bought it and it's broke