Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Diagnose my problem...please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation Diagnose my problem...please.

My 2004 Grand Cherokee (4.0) is getting terrible gas mileage. It seems like the best I can do right now is 14mpg. That's driving 35 miles to work, all highway.

I think the bands might need adjusted in my tranny, but could it be killing the mileage that bad? It just seems like something is holding it back at highway speeds. The trans shifts fine, although it has slipped a couple times the last few weeks when it's cold - once it warms up, it's fine.

I can't figure out why the mileage has gotten so bad recently. I'm running stock size tires. I do have 112K on the clock, but the engine runs very smooth.

Any ideas on what I could check? I've Sea Foamed, changed the spark plugs, and cleaned the TB recently.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:57 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee

Are you looking at the overhead or are you doing the math at the pump? Your overhead is wrong. I have a 00 g.c. and the over head tells me that I am getting 12. mpg.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Just That Awesome

Year: 1993

Even if he's going by overhead, he clearly has noticed a drop significant enough to cause concern and states he feels it holding back. Just because a guage is inaccurate does not mean it can't indicate a problem. If your speedo is ten mph off, and drops when you slow down, the number is wrong but you are still going slower than before (as an example).

Everything effects gas milage. It could be anything, including the trans adjustment. Start with simple maintence ie check your filters, plugs, tires, air pressure etc. Weather changes can affect air pressure.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

tire size/speed/what do you carry?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by red04cavy
My 2004 Grand Cherokee (4.0) is getting terrible gas mileage. It seems like the best I can do right now is 14mpg. That's driving 35 miles to work, all highway.

I think the bands might need adjusted in my tranny, but could it be killing the mileage that bad? It just seems like something is holding it back at highway speeds. The trans shifts fine, although it has slipped a couple times the last few weeks when it's cold - once it warms up, it's fine.

I can't figure out why the mileage has gotten so bad recently. I'm running stock size tires. I do have 112K on the clock, but the engine runs very smooth.

Any ideas on what I could check? I've Sea Foamed, changed the spark plugs, and cleaned the TB recently.

Thanks.
Have u checked the overdrive\power switch? Sounds like overdrive is off.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95

Band adjustment will not help fuel mileage, basically band adjustment would only affect shift timing of 2nd gear. Front band is only applied in 2nd gear, rear band is only applied in Reverse or manual low/manual 1st gear. If the adjustment was out far enough to cause a major concern it would just burn and cause a concern much bigger than a fuel mileage complaint.

Other than checking obvious things, you might make sure your reaching operating temp (stuck/weak thermostat), if you have access to a scanner then make sure all sensors are indicating correctly. Check fro vacuum leaks, injector flush, complete tune up etc...