Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Default 2004 Cherokee larado evaporator replaced, issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2004 Cherokee larado a/c evaporator replaced, issue

I had the evaporator / heater core replaced a year ago, before it was replace the a/c was very cold, afterwards it was not, its cool but not cold, the guy mentioned the insulation was bad, something about the heat core effecting it because its next to the evaporator. I know the air doesn't blow hard out of the passenger side vents, but that was the same before he did the work. The fresh air door seems to be open and stays open.. still, the a/c should blow cold like it did before the evaporator went in my opinion.

The compressor went last week and I had it replaced, that didn't change the a/c cooling, still not cold, just cool

The same guy did the job. I know there is issues with these models and the insulation in the dash and I know more came off when he took it apart to replace the evaporator / heater core, some clogged my drain plug..

any ideas? One mechanics mentioned high/low pressure..

Last edited by jimm; 11-22-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:52 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

All I can tell you is when you buy a heater core, a good brand will come with new insulation. I would assume an evaporator would also. But you know what happens when you assume something.

The A/C must be pumped down to a vacuum before it's recharged, especially if a line has been opened. This is to remove any air and/or water that's in the system that might reduce it's effectiveness.

If this is the dual zone ATC system, you may have a broken blend door on the passenger's side. This can block airflow from the blower.

Last edited by dave1123; 11-22-2017 at 02:55 PM.