Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Dana 30,35 disc brake upgrade

Old 04-06-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Dana 30,35 disc brake upgrade

I'm building a 96 ZJ using the original axle housing, Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear with a 4" long arm lift. Going to be running 31.5" or maybe 33" tires. New 30 spline axles with carrier and new drive shafts. I would like to upgrade my brakes. I think the factory front brakes will be adequate for my build but I would really like to upgrade the rear to a full disc brake with E-brake setup and shed that drum/disc combo that it has now. My brakes, backing plates with shoes and drum/disc's are shot and need replacing anyhow. I have a LOT of work in my Dana 35 beefing up the brackets and trussing the axle housing so I wouldn't want to scrap it out and go to, say a Dana 44 unless it's strongly suggested. The E-brake drum setup seems like it would get full of crap and bind if not lock up all together. Maybe I'm worried about a lot to do about nothing? Any suggestions or links to a complete brake kit upgrading my rear brakes would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jim
Old 04-06-2017, 01:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

people will tell you that you'd be better off with a chrysler 8.25 with 29 spline shafts (found in late 96 and up XJs with the 8.25) but since you don't want to run huge tires and already invested a lot in the 35, i'd say keep it but other than the disc brakes don't throw any more money at it.

that said your best bet is finding a ZJ with rear discs and swap the backing plates and dust shield over to your XJ. you need to modify your e-brake cable or buy new ones that will fit with the new disc brake setup.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:42 PM

Hey Cane,
I have a 96 ZJ. It has rear disc brakes but the E-brake is drum. Is there a 96 model that has rear disc brakes that uses the caliper for the E-brake and not shoes.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

sorry i got this mixed up with a XJ. forget what i said about the chrysler 8.25, it would need to be modified to accept coils instead of leafs and probably other things too.

that being said, you can't get around the drums for the e-brake. for example ford 8.8 disc brakes and dana 44 disc brakes also use this system. don't worry too much about it because many people have done this upgrade and say it's so much easier to maintain than drums.

clean everything thoroughly, make sure the calipers' pistons are not seized, lube everything up and you'll be ready for the swap. make sure the fitting on your brake lines fit the brake hose too.

Last edited by Cane; 04-06-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:37 PM

10/4 Cane, I was hoping there would be a disc brake kit like I used on my Scout. I installed a Dana 44 on her and bought a disc brake kit to replace the drum brakes. It used Cadillac calipers that had a mechanical E-brake on the caliper that my brake cables hooked right up too. Anyhow For $300.00 I can get new backing plates with shoes and all for my Dana 35 and I'll probably spring for new calipers and rotors to boot. Thanks for the info Cane you've been a big help...