Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

At a crossroads. Fix up my WJ or sell and start over

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default At a crossroads. Fix up my WJ or sell and start over

I actually have a nice 03 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 4.0 and QuadraTrac II. But the more I research the more I think I may have bought the wrong one. So I figured I would ask the experts here and see what you think. What I would like to do with this WJ is the following.

4" RC long arm Kit with clayton 6 inch coils, jks new hd track bar and sway bar disconnects, iro brake line extensions and bilstein shocks.

I'd really like to run 33" tires or as big as I can go without the need for trimming.

I'm going to build front and rear bumpers hopefully in the next month or two with plans that are being sold buy a guy that frequents this website.

Also I would eventually like to do lockers front and rear as long as they do not interfere with me being able to tow the Jeep behind my motorhome.

Also I want to keep this jeep as a Daily Driver

Here are my concerns with my current setup. Seems like all these builds are with the V-8's and 242HD transfer cases neither of which I have. So I am worried with my current setup that I am going to be money ahead to sell mine and find one with the stuff above instead of what upgrading what I have. Seems like to me I would need to do a TC upgrade, Front and rear axles and a rehear to be able to run 33's. Or can I do some good wheeling on 31-32's? What's your opinion..

This is what I currently have..

Name:  Jeep_zps869c9005.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  55.4 KB

And this is what I would like it to look like when I'm done...

Last edited by lacofdfireman; 07-16-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:45 PM

I'll chime in…

After doing two car builds I have mixed reviews. Let me start with a couple of question's:
Can you do your own mechanical work?
Do you have a steady amount of expendable income?

If you have to pay somebody to do the work because you haven't the tools, garage, and or time. Sell your current and buy the platform you want. If you are mechanical and have the space and money. You can have an overall better build because you will actually know the in's and out's of your vehicle. I require a V8. I'm sure there are tons of folks completely satisfied with a well working 4.0L

Money, Time, Space, and Tools… This is my criteria for any automotive project.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Build what you have, the 4.0 may be sluggish, but it is way more reliable than the 4.7 V8.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:55 PM

Is there any type of locker that I can put into my axles that will work with what I already have... I don't have Dana 44's. Also do you think I will need to regear and change out the Transfer case?