Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Crooked Mechanic.. Comments Greatly Appreciated 2008 Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Crooked Mechanic.. Comments Greatly Appreciated 2008 Grand Cherokee

2​008 Jeep Laredo 3.7 V6... I think I have a criminal, thief mechanic.. I can help you with your PC - but I'm no mechanic. I am looking for feedback from those of you that are and possibly give me some insight as to what I have to do this week.

My Jeep was overheating and was able to drive it to a kwik-lube/minor repair shop. They told me the block was cracked and I would need to find the appropriate mechanic. I drove it home 2 miles and after it cooled down recorded​ 30 second video of it running, link at the bottom.

I found a mechanic and the circus began. First bid was 800; but that quickly changed to 1200.00 as he said the head was indeed cracked. I was OK with this. The head was taken to a machine shop where he again raised the price and told me the head was beyond repair and a new.rebuilt or used one CORRECTION TWO were now needed. He said that both heads have to be done or the Jeep would not run correctly after repairs. I went along all the way to this point where I met him at his shop and said NO MORE.. He said no more surprises, the final price would be 1700.00.. Confirmed and agreed not to exceed 1700.00 3 times on that day. I paid him another 600.00 leaving me a balance of $ 500.00, it was clearly understood that I would pay 500.00 when I picked my car up.. NOT THE CASE

The car is now done but the cost went up and I believe the lies got bigger. He has stated I owe another 800.00.. his exact words ""the head job 'did not' include the water pump, we didn't discover that until we were putting heads back on. It also didn't include radiator flush or crank shaft key' which was broken.These items were separate from the head job which would have run upwards of $5000 at the dealer"

So I asked for verification... He has stated that none of the old parts are available for inspection, the machine shop trashed the old block, he will not show me any PO or invoice for his cost, will not tell me the machine shop he supposedly went to first. I'm no mechanic but this sounds like total BS.

My understanding the water pump is under 50.00 and 30 minutes to replace since the engine was already broken down, the radiator flush should be part of the head job and I am not sure what the crankshaft key does but the jeep would start when it was picked up. I feel this guy is a crook, I have learned he doesn't even own the shop where the car was taken and repaired, that shop has a different name and registered to another person. His company being AA Transmission and Auto Repair shows to be an apartment in Carrolton, Texas. He has also taken my jeep from the location where it was repaired and as far as I know has it in his possession somewhere. I have already paid 1200.00 and will gladly pay the 500.00 as agreed to get my jeep back in good working order. I need some professional advice on this additional 800.00 of work he claims, what any suggestions as far as my options at this point... as stated we are in Denton County of Texas. Thank You in advance for any advice. ​

​VIDEO OF IT RUNNING: (
Old 07-20-2014, 02:37 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I think your suspicions are correct.
What you can do about it now I don't know.
Try the BBB
Old 07-20-2014, 03:22 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Ok.
1) 3.7L engine is prone to heads cracking

2) You can not just do one because the variance across the timing chain will cause a very noticeable engine misfire/vibration.

3) The water pump may have been what caused the heads to crack in the first place.........these cylinder heads are very thin near the water jackets and just 10 minutes above 240 degrees will crack them

4) You should always have a written estimate of repairs signed by your self and the service manager/ shop owner, at least that is how it is where I live, but remember, you are talking repairing an engine which was not in good running condition when the mechanic got it and you want him to give you a definite price up front...which is nearly impossible...besides the fact that it is called an "estimate of repairs" for that very reason.

5) Do you like being called a thief or a liar? You have nothing to stand on. No shop owner anywhere is going to show you the receipts from outside services that he paid, and if you wanted the old parts you should have requested that before the work began.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

One other thing I would like to mention.

I have been in the Auto/Truck repair business for the last 37 years.
ASE Master Tech Auto, Master Tech Heavy Truck and Certified Emissions Testing Inspector. I am also on the team at iATN. I understand your feelings about what has happened to you, but at the same time can see both sides of the issue.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I would like to hear the mechanic's side of the story, I think there is some missing info. There are crooked mechanics out there, but there are also bad customers. The mechanic should have called you with a revised estimate and should have had you authorize the new total before continuing with the repairs. If the customer simply says just fix it and call me when it's done, he is just asking for a huge surprise when it comes time to pay. Now the charges for repairs are no longer just parts and labor, there will be hazmat fees, fees for consumables such as rags and surface conditioning discs, and you will pay for any cans of spray cleaner that may have been used. That is why I do all of my own repairs.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:01 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I've been through this similar situation and here's what I found. You can hire a lawyer and sue the mechanic for improper service, but without paperwork or a signed work order, chances are you'll loose. Then you'll have to pay for legal services as well.

At this point the best you can do is pay the bill and get you jeep back, make out a report to the BBB (although in my experience that doesn't do anything), and tell everyone you know about what happened. I feel there are two things at fault here. You left the door open by not getting a signed estimate and work order and he didn't call to tell you about what he found and ask you to agree to the added repair expenses.

For what you payed, it seems to me it would have been cheaper to have the dealer install a reman motor. In the long run, you could rely on a proper repair and get it back quicker. JMHO.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:42 PM

Thank You Willys55 for your reply. I now realize I should have provided more details.
  • You can not just do one because the variance across the timing chain will cause a very noticeable engine misfire/vibration.
I am glad to know you have to do both heads, that would answer one question.

• besides the fact that it is called an "estimate of repairs" for that very reason. I do understand this, and I have a signed estimate for 1200.00. I then received a call and was told the machine shop could not repair the block and he found a used block and everything could be done for 1700.00. I then visited the shop and nobody was there. On a second visit I did find 1 person there and my Jeep parked inside. I would learn that the person representing Aa Transmission, being the person I have a signed estimate with is not a mechanic nor does he own this shop but was placing ads on Craigslist and contracting the work to this guy. That still didn't bother me, life is tough these days and whatever you have to do to live.. just keep your integrity. I left a other 600.00 with the clear understanding they had gone thru everything and that when done I would have a jeep repaired and they would have in total 1700.00. Once completed, without a call or notice of any kind, i was told I owe 900.00 more for a water pump, flushing the radiator and a crankshaft pin.The following is an exact copy and paste from his email Friday...
"Carry, for the last time I will tell you that the head job 'did not' include the water pump, radiator flush or crank shaft key' which was broken. These items were separate from the head job which would have run upwards of $5000 at the dealer, we gave you those additional parts at our cost only, no one else would have done that. You will need to pick up UR vehicle soon before the storage fees gets to high. I am willing to work to get that reduced but you will have to do your part."

What I am asking this forum to consider is 900.00 for a water pump, radiator flush and crankshaft key.. I may be wrong; but I do not believe this is right. Following that email I did offer $ 250.00 more for that extra work, that was rejected with the following reply, my comments to this forum in parenthesis..

"Edgar (this being the actual guy that leases the shop, not the man I have a signed estimate with, nor the name of the business on my estimate) informed me last night that he will be available today to release UR vehicle back to you, he also said he would wave the storage fees which as of today are $560.00 (car has been completed for just 9 days, and the Jeep is not at Edgers shop anyway, since being completed the guy I thought was the shop owner told me he drove it home, where I guess it has remained.. home being an apartment) But you will need to pay what you owe, he also said that if this does not happen today, the process of retrieving the title will begin next week after which we will sell the vehicle for the bal. You owe. Please let us know if you can make it to the shop by 3:00 p.m."
Hopefully that sheds some more light on things. Thank You for your time and consideration.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:43 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Carry, where do you live? Here in NJ you can not charge storage fees for a vehicle you are working on.......is he charging you $65 a day after the repairs have been made?

Dave may be right thou, you may just have to pay for it, get it back, then try to pursue the matter with legal help.....however, remember to never loose your temper and always have a third party with you...and when you get you hands on your bill.....check and read the disclaimer printed on the bottom.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:47 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

if you decide to take this to court you would need to have a recognized automotive expert to testify in your behalf on any repairs performed or the judge can and will dismiss the case because you need to be able to represent at the same level as the defendant. That expert could be just another auto mechanic, but he must have the documents available with him to show the court his creditability.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993 & 1994
Engine: 4.0

I know in CA. we have the B.A.R. I just did a quick search and found this for TX. https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov...r_repair.shtml maybe read up and see what they can do for you.

"Resolving Disagreements Over The Bill:If the charge is much higher than the estimate, or if the work was done without your authorization and you feel that you have been overcharged, question the bill. Have the shop write out the reasons for the difference in cost, and keep this written explanation together with the work estimate, final bill, and other paperwork. Make sure the mechanic returns your old parts. (The mechanic may return some parts, such as alternators and brake shoes, to the parts supplier for a refund, so you may not be able to get all of them.)
Even if you are unsatisfied with the mechanic's explanation of the difference between the estimate and the final charge, or feel you have been cheated, pay the bill, making clear that you do not agree to it. You can then file a complaint with the Attorney General's Office and/or file a small claims court law suit against the mechanic.
If you refuse to pay a repair bill -- even a bill in dispute -- the mechanic has the legal right to keep your car until you pay. Even if you feel cheated, you should not pay with a check so you can regain possession of your car and then stop payment on the check -- your vehicle may still be repossessed.
If you suspect that the repair shop has violated the law, and you can't get them to resolve the problem to your satisfaction, your first step should be to take your car to another repair shop. Give the second mechanic a copy of your itemized receipt and order an inspection of the alleged repairs and parts. Get this report in writing. If you notice the same problem with your car is recurring, or find a new problem that should not have arisen, you will be in a better position to negotiate a refund from the first mechanic if you get a second mechanic's opinion of the work done in writing."

Max

Last edited by ZJMAX; 07-21-2014 at 12:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BloNdeChiNeEz (08-24-2020)
Old 07-21-2014, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 5.2L

Wow that sucks. This is exactly why I didn't buy a WJ and went with a ZJ instead. A buddy of mine told me the heads on these things crack and warp all the time.

How many miles are on the motor?

Also - some confusion in your account of the details: You said he wants an "additional $800". In plain English this means he wants the $500 you originally expected to pay to get your vehicle back, PLUS $800 ($1200 + $500 + $800). Is this correct?

If your situation only concerns a disagreement between $500 vs $800, just cough up the dough and be done with it. Involving lawyers and all of that nonsense is going to be prohibitively more expensive.

FYI - driving the vehicle around with a broken head/gasket and allowing the vehicle to overheat is terrible for your internals. I assume it was overheating like a **** since you had no pressurized cooling system.

You said you're a computer guy right? Next time you turn on your computer, yank the heatsink out. Just rip it right the **** out and run it for a few hours. That's essentially what you're doing to the Jeep. The heads are nice and fresh now, but what about all of the other internals. Keep an eye on that oil pressure gauge.

The same thing happened to me with my vette. It was my only transportation and I drove it around for a month not knowing it was a head gasket. I warped the heads, requiring a lot of machining/milling. I now live in fear that I'm going to start hearing rod knock having drastically overheated the block and exposing the internals to oil mixed dexcool. $3500 and not a single performance upgrade.

Some times life lessons come in the form of taking out your wallet, dumping its contents on the ground, and bending over...

Last edited by po0dingles; 07-21-2014 at 02:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BloNdeChiNeEz (08-24-2020)
Old 07-22-2014, 05:00 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Originally Posted by po0dingles

Some times life lessons come in the form of taking out your wallet, dumping its contents on the ground, and bending over...
Good advice...funny, but good advice...LOL
Old 07-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

As I said before, you'd have been farther ahead with a reman motor.