Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Could someone please help my wife she is having problem with her jeep

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Could someone please help my wife she is having problem with her jeep

Hi guys my wife is having nothing but problem with her jeep these last few months. First it was axle seals and now its the signal light. The jeep is an 03 grand cherokee overland with 76000km on it

Here is what the issue it. Sometimes when she turns her signal light on does matter which side it will work for a minute or 2 while she is waiting for the light to change and all of a son it just stops all togther. She will just leave it off and at the next turn she puts on here signal light and it will work. It doesnt happen all the time but in a 10 minute drive today it happened 3 times more than it usally does. She said it seems to be getting worse. Shes scared to drive it because she has our 2 infants in the vehicle and scared that someone will hit her. I am working at a remote camp and im not out for another 3 weeks. When i called a shop today they informed me that they are backed up for a minuim of 5 weeks. We live in a remote community and the next closes shop is 11 hrs away. Any help would be greatly appricatated
Old 04-15-2012, 04:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

did you check the breaker switch for the blinkers it may be going out.... try switching the blinker and hazzard relay's and see if that works out
Old 04-15-2012, 04:34 PM

Year: 2001

Sounds like the combination flasher (relay) is on the way out.

A bit pricey but worth a shot to swap it out. It looks like a regular Bosch type relay except it is about twice as tall and has 9 pins.

The combination flasher is located in the Junction Block (JB) (Combination Flasher). The JB is located underneath the driver side of the instrument panel outboard of the steering column. The combination flasher is a smart relay that functions as both the turn signal system and the hazard warning system flasher. The combination flasher contains active electronic Integrated Circuitry (IC) elements. This flasher is designed to handle the current flow requirements of the factory-installed lighting. If supplemental lighting is added to the turn signal lamp circuits, such as when towing a trailer with lights, the combination flasher will automatically try to compensate to keep the flash rate the same.

The combination flasher has nine blade-type terminals that connect it to the vehicle electrical system.

Because of the active electronic elements within the combination flasher, it cannot be tested with conventional automotive electrical test equipment. If the combination flasher is believed to be faulty, test the turn signal system and hazard warning system circuits. The combination flasher cannot be repaired or adjusted and, if faulty or damaged, it must be replaced.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ETexas XJ
Sounds like the combination flasher (relay) is on the way out.

A bit pricey but worth a shot to swap it out. It looks like a regular Bosch type relay except it is about twice as tall and has 9 pins.

The combination flasher is located in the Junction Block (JB) (Combination Flasher). The JB is located underneath the driver side of the instrument panel outboard of the steering column. The combination flasher is a smart relay that functions as both the turn signal system and the hazard warning system flasher. The combination flasher contains active electronic Integrated Circuitry (IC) elements. This flasher is designed to handle the current flow requirements of the factory-installed lighting. If supplemental lighting is added to the turn signal lamp circuits, such as when towing a trailer with lights, the combination flasher will automatically try to compensate to keep the flash rate the same.

The combination flasher has nine blade-type terminals that connect it to the vehicle electrical system.

Because of the active electronic elements within the combination flasher, it cannot be tested with conventional automotive electrical test equipment. If the combination flasher is believed to be faulty, test the turn signal system and hazard warning system circuits. The combination flasher cannot be repaired or adjusted and, if faulty or damaged, it must be replaced.
Chrysler made that complicated didn't they? It used to be a simple relay
Old 04-15-2012, 05:47 PM

Would a relay do this kind of thing do you think. Im not judging anyone just want to make sure something like this would happen with a bad relay. Like i said the flasher will be on for a minute while waiting to turn and all of a son it just kicks out, try it again and sometimes it will work and other times it wont. some days it doesnt happen at all and like i said today it happened 3 times in 10 minutes

And i would like to say thanks to everyone that is helping out this is a great site like ive been told
Old 04-15-2012, 05:59 PM
CF Veteran

yes...... it only takes a minit for a relay to heat up and stick on or off in your case off. just in case it's a dirty connection you could try a cleaning of the plug or port or whatever the case may be, or just wiggle it around plug and unplug it, like that.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:29 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee

X1000000 on the relay while its on it progressivly gets hot and it might be getting so hot it doesnt complete the connection or opens/closes for good til it cools down. Like stated switch your relay for the hazards and see how it does. Turn the turn signal on see if it continues to work like normal and turn your hazards on (chances are they will shut off after a few seconds) and that should give you the anwser your looking for
Old 04-15-2012, 08:44 PM

Year: 2002
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like what my flasher module was doing. I pulled it out, removed the cover, and resoldered (heated up the solder until it started to flow, and added a tad more new solder) the connections at the base. It hasn't given me trouble since.

http://trinjam.com/forum/index.php?topic=178.0
Old 04-15-2012, 09:59 PM
I WIN!

Year: 1997
Engine: BIG! HUGE!

Have you checked the blinker fluid? Hehe jk...
Old 04-15-2012, 10:06 PM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
X1000000 on the relay while its on it progressivly gets hot and it might be getting so hot it doesnt complete the connection or opens/closes for good til it cools down. Like stated switch your relay for the hazards and see how it does. Turn the turn signal on see if it continues to work like normal and turn your hazards on (chances are they will shut off after a few seconds) and that should give you the anwser your looking for
You have to swap it with another combination relay and the Jeep only has one. If you have a friend with a similar vehicle or another CDJ (say a 01-04 Caravan if my memory is right) you could borrow theirs to test with.

This isn't the old round silver flasher we are all used to.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:38 PM

Yea i know...... Ahhhhh nvm i was thinking of a regular relay like for the abs and horns and whatnot how you can rotate those around. Shyt sorry man i went blank there my apologiea

Thanks for correcting me i hate giving false info
Old 04-16-2012, 12:07 AM

Engine: 5.9 w/mp-1 intake + 5.2 cpu

if it is not the relay you may have to look at your multifunction switch. Never had one go on a jeep but they are common failures on GM.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:57 AM

the signal light will turn on for 3 blinks if you slightly touch it either way. it is designed that way so that if you are simply making a quick lane change you don't have to turn it off. could this be what's happening?
Old 12-15-2013, 07:35 PM

If the steering wheel is turned slightly when you put the signal on it may be disengaging the turn signal. Explaining the the irregularity of the problem. Make sure she isn't turning the wheel when waiting for the stop light to change.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:31 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

That's a good point about not turning the wheels while waiting to turn. My aunt was waiting to make a left turn in her Volkswagen microbus and got slammed in the rear and shoved into oncoming traffic to get slammed again! She was hurt pretty bad and since then, I've NEVER turned the wheels until I was set to go. I was 18 at the time and I'm 68 now.