Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Control arm alignment bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 10:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Control arm alignment bolts

Ive been trying to fix death wobble in my 97 grand Cherokee and after replacing the tie rods, ball joints, shocks and steering stabilizer it still does it , even worse than before. So the only thing left to do is control arm bushings. I found a good deal on bushings through Rock Auto. I bought the bushings then one of the front lower frame side alignment bolts were frozen, actually I was paying someone to do this since I didn't have time. So they cut the bolt on both sides and its ruined, also cutting into one of the washers and ruining it. Now Ive been trying to fing the proper replacement bolt for weeks now, first I tried ebay, the washers were way to big and to much degree adjustment, then I tried Oriellys and the washer is smaller with less adjustment degree but still to big to fit in the slot. Ive been trying to find specs or even get the employees at parts stores to contact their supplier to get the sizes of washers before I keep buying more and more of these. No one anywhere knows anything, but I suspect someone on here knows what the problem is. The guy I am paying to do this while im out of town thinks its an axle from a different vehicle, im pretty sure it couldn't be possible and these parts are listed as fitting a broad range of years.
Whenever I do finally get the correct bolts, does anyone have a way to align the vehicle? So far one professional shop has turned down aligning it because they say they cant do it, its too complicated.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

The bolts are part of the castor adjustment shoe so you will have to replace the whole piece. For your castor adjustment you use castor shims, you can measure your castor by putting a magnetic angle finder on the bottom of the knuckle.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:07 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L Magnum V8 220hp 285ft-lbs

Is this Moog K100047 Alignment Cam Bolt Kit the part required, or is it the frame-end bolt that is required?
Old 04-25-2019, 11:14 PM

The camber is not adjustable. It is set at -0.25°.

The caster and toe are adjustable. The previously-linked adjustable bolts permit caster adjustment. Note that both sides must be set the same.

The front tie rod adjustment sleeve(s) permit adjustment of the toe.

On my vehicle I do the alignment on a level location on my driveway. It is "easy".
Old 04-26-2019, 05:34 AM
Seasoned Member

No one has the proper size bolt kit with the proper sized washers to fit in the slot where it goes.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by wingless
Is this Moog K100047 Alignment Cam Bolt Kit the part required, or is it the frame-end bolt that is required?
Again, what location needs replacement bolts?
Old 04-27-2019, 03:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Like i was saying I need the lower frame side alignment cam bolts, both bolt sets ive bought so far had bolts that worked but the washers are too big to fit in the slot that holds them when you adjust them. its the washers that are too big. Ive tried an Ebay vendor and Oriellies Auto parts . Ebay washers were bigger than the parts store but both are too big. No one even carries them or can look up specs. The ones that came off are 1.50 inches diameter or ever so slightly smaller than that, the ones from Oriellys are 1 and 5/8 inches or slightly smaller, the ones from ebay are slightly bigger than 1 and 5/8 inches diameter.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:38 PM
Seasoned Member

This is getting frustrating since no one in any add beside a few ebay adds have the specs on these parts , and they are on the frame side, it is just normal bolts everywhere else I think. even the moog add has no specs, and how is this even possible? im about to try to call Rugged ridge and get there take on this.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:46 AM

Again, what location needs replacement bolts?
Originally Posted by munyanb
Like i was saying I need the lower frame side alignment cam bolts,
Maybe that's the problem.

The cam bolts are installed on the axle end, not the frame end, as-shown in this image.

The Moog K100047 bolts / cam washers fit fine into the openings.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Maybe I just wrote it wrong but anyway the spot where they go is pretty obvious with the slot there for a cam bolt and the problem is that the washers I keep getting with these kits , supposedly for my vehicle are always to big to fit and clearly bigger than the old ones, in fact the old ones were made just a little different also, although the function would remain the same. Instead of a flat sided bolt all the way to the head the old one was round on the bolt head side and had splines to hold its position, on the new kits both washers are flat sided and the bolt is also flat sided all the way to the head, it works the same but its a different technique. Come to think of it I did write that wrong but for real all I should say is cam alignment bolts and not even mention the placement since its pretty obvious where they go, lol
Old 04-28-2019, 09:04 AM
Seasoned Member

or alignment cam bolt rather, the problem is the washers wont fit , nothing else, I guess ill go to a machine shop and have some made , but I know people buy control arms and lift kits for these model jeeps every day and there are people that use new hardware every day, so why is mine different than any other 97grand Cherokee ever made?
Old 04-28-2019, 09:13 AM

The Moog K100047 bolts / cam washers fit fine into the openings.
The Moog K100047 cam bolts are shown installed in my ZJ in the image.

They fit fine without issues.

Has that readily available part been tried?
Old 04-28-2019, 12:09 PM
Seasoned Member

I haven't bought the one you are showing from moog , but I have bought two sets and both were to big, did you happen to measure the diameter of the washers in the ones you got?
Old 04-28-2019, 12:13 PM
Seasoned Member

that's a clean looking ZJ there by the way, I like the red better than the black, I got a pretty cool stabilizer shock from Day Star , its white and red I think, im working out of town and have my jeep in a buddies garage so I cant look at it right away , but I have seen firsthand the washers I had got were close to 1/8 inch bigger than the ones that came off and I cant re use because of the bolt style being different.
41e
Old 04-29-2019, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by munyanb
that's a clean looking ZJ there by the way
Thanks.

My New England Jeep was just as rusty as everyone else's ZJ. On mine, I just sanded and painted the existing parts, replaced the worn out parts, plus painted some of the replacement parts.

Quick Reply: Control arm alignment bolts