Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Confused on Recirc Door or Blend Door?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default Confused on Recirc Door or Blend Door?

*I've found the solution to this problem, please see my latest reply below*

Hey all,
I've spent the last two hours on searching and reading about this. I just bought a Grand Cherokee Limited (2001) today in awesome shape. I thought I got a pretty good deal but when driving to pick up the title I realized there was little to no air coming from the vents....later it began blowing again...and then it stopped again. I ran the diag. and pulled these codes:

46--AI (Recirc) motor was not responding
51--AI (Recirc) door travel range too small
52--AI (Recirc) door travel range too large

My guess from my reading is that it's probably just the recirc door that has fallen and is blocking the blower motor. However, other users on this forums and others that I have been reading sort of indirectly imply that error 51 and 52 actually point to blend doors.

Can anyone please shed some light on this. I'm comfortable doing either repair. The previous owners really acted like they didn't even realize the heat/air had problems.

There are several other problems I'm dealing with now (shudder when breaking..strange *clunking* sound near rear passenger side)...but this one is up there on my priorities. I spent the last 8 years after I got married driving an old beater truck with no AC so I could keep payments down and make life nicer for my wife...finally sprung for a *newer* car today and I'll be damned if I'm not cursed with hardly any AC in this one!

Thank you all in advance for your time!

Last edited by metalvox1; 07-07-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Problem Solved
Old 05-16-2012, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF. Read this. http://www.heatertreater.net/indextech.html#window
Heater Treater has a fix for most blend door issues.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:23 PM

The problem I'm having is that sometimes the air blows hard through the vents...but it seems that after driving it on the highway for a bit the air to the vents cuts off completely. I really don't think this is a blend door issue. Also the error codes I'm receiving are all directly related to the recirc door.

Does anyone else have experience with or remember seeing a thread on here with similar problems?

Again...thanks for your time.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:19 PM

Default FIXED

I just thought I'd update you all on what I've done....

I did not have a blend door issue, recirc door issue, or a clogged condensate drain issue.

My AC was essentially "freezing up" after a certain amount of use....not consistently ....some times would last all day, sometime would last 30 minutes.

The fix was an $18 "Ac cycling switch"...they had it in stock at a local O'Reily's. It was 5 minutes to put it on. Drove the jeep all 12 hours round trip after putting this on with NO freeze ups after that, before I could almost guarantee it would freeze up on a daily basis.

So anyhow to sum it up (and help those coming here from Google):

Model: 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Problem: AC Freezing up, no air coming from vents, evaporator core frosting over, water in floor board (from condensation, not overflow)
Solution: $18 AC Cycling Switch from any local parts store, 5 minutes of your time...and I believe a 9/16 wrench (you also have to take the battery out or at least lift it up to get a wrench in there)

I was not able to find much help from anyone on this problem so I hope that this solution can help others having the same problem!

Josh