Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Cold Air intake Debate

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Cold Air intake Debate

Ok guys I know neither of these are true cold air intakes. But I was wondering which of these air intakes were better. AEM BruteForce air intake or K&N air intake. Your Thoughts Ladies And Gentlemen. Im leaning towards the BruteForce...If You have either of these intakes please chime In.

Thanks for the replys guys! And Lady Jeepers
Old 05-23-2011, 08:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L

All either one is going to do for it is make it sound better, and if you're anything like me make you get a bit worse gas mileage listening to the intake.

You didn't specify which motor, but they're the same basic principle. For the V8, they're almost identical. Get the one that's cheaper if you do get it. But I'd definitely upgrade the paper element that you run on the end of the filter. The K&N filters are notorious for letting to much crap into the intake.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bad... 94 grand.... 5.2 V8! And yeah I'm like you I'm sure it would get worse just like you stated listening too it
Old 05-24-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

I have had both in the past, I would say the AEM is better only because you dont have to oil it after cleaning. It seems like I see more dust getting past the K&N that the AEM, but that might show up due to the oil that comes off the filter too.

Its almost non-issue for these, but I have seen many people that over-oiled K&N type and it would foul the MAF sensor and make the throttle plate get dirty and sticky.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:23 PM

Year: 1996

Just installed a K&N system on my friends 1998 5.9 limited last week, huge difference! I was kinda skeptical about k&n's 25h.p. increase, but after we put it on i believe it. We had a little fitment issue around the TB but overall fit really nice.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

I've had the K&N intake on my ZJ for years now and to be honest I'm really thinking about putting the stock air box back in. I didn't notice any more power or fuel economy. Its worthless! Stick with your stock air box. All it does is make you look cooler when you open your hood. The cleaning, and oiling is just too annoying to keep up with. I'd rather just spend a few bucks and throw another filter in the stock box. I keep getting this thing way too dirty to quickly for it to mean anything.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by FAlfani81
I've had the K&N intake on my ZJ for years now and to be honest I'm really thinking about putting the stock air box back in. I didn't notice any more power or fuel economy. Its worthless! Stick with your stock air box. All it does is make you look cooler when you open your hood. The cleaning, and oiling is just too annoying to keep up with. I'd rather just spend a few bucks and throw another filter in the stock box. I keep getting this thing way too dirty to quickly for it to mean anything.
Wow! Do u have the 4.0 or the 5.2? The k&n piece looked much less restrictive than the stocker. I could definitely tell a difference after we installed it.. And the 5.9 was other
wise stock.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Of the two filters, the AEM is the best. It is a dry filter and needs no oil, which can foul sensors if there is too much of it. Also, according to the websites the AEM is a more efficient filter. I run one and am very satisfied with it.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 ltr

stock air box with a nice qualit after market drop in panel filter.
thats my choice every time.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2L

Originally Posted by TennesseeCherokee
Just installed a K&N system on my friends 1998 5.9 limited last week, huge difference! I was kinda skeptical about k&n's 25h.p. increase, but after we put it on i believe it. We had a little fitment issue around the TB but overall fit really nice.
Show me the dyno sheet! I've run the stock intake, an ebay CAI, the "stock" K&N, and now the K&N w/ Amsoil filter and prefilter. I'd love to see K&N's documentation on their claims of 25 hp is absolutely ridiculous. I've been involved in a few threads where people have actually emailed K&N for the dyno sheets proving their claims after purchase, and K&N refuses citing "proprietary knowledge".

Perhaps you do get a bunch more air in the engine, but do the actual math on the cfm's of air needed on the Jeep V8's, and you'll realize that's not the restrictor on these engines, it's the exhaust. Upgrade the exhaust, and perhaps you'll see some real gains.

The only gain you're gonna get out of it, is it'll sound nicer, and you'll take in a bit more dust as the K&N filter doesn't do as good a job filtering that out.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: V8

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/gut-air-box-86732/

Nuff Said?
Ron
Old 05-24-2011, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

What do you guys feel about

http://www.carid.com/2001-jeep-chero...ke-113643.html

I like how you keep stock airbox to protect from water but honestly with all these air intake mods, do they really work if they stay in their stock spot. i can see if they are relocated to the cowl or further from engine to avoid heat.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:54 AM

Default here ya go.

Originally Posted by blackjack12982
Show me the dyno sheet! I've run the stock intake, an ebay CAI, the "stock" K&N, and now the K&N w/ Amsoil filter and prefilter. I'd love to see K&N's documentation on their claims of 25 hp is absolutely ridiculous. I've been involved in a few threads where people have actually emailed K&N for the dyno sheets proving their claims after purchase, and K&N refuses citing "proprietary knowledge".

Perhaps you do get a bunch more air in the engine, but do the actual math on the cfm's of air needed on the Jeep V8's, and you'll realize that's not the restrictor on these engines, it's the exhaust. Upgrade the exhaust, and perhaps you'll see some real gains.

The only gain you're gonna get out of it, is it'll sound nicer, and you'll take in a bit more dust as the K&N filter doesn't do as good a job filtering that out.
Name:  dyno.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  81.7 KB
Old 05-25-2011, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by TennesseeCherokee
Wow! Do u have the 4.0 or the 5.2? The k&n piece looked much less restrictive than the stocker. I could definitely tell a difference after we installed it.. And the 5.9 was other
wise stock.
I have a 5.2 and it does nothing for me. All its doing is getting hella dirty because its so exposed. And personally I don't care what the K&N website says they got on a dyno with it. Thats just like Flowmaster promising another 20 with there exhaust kit... if it were so simple to get an extra ~50HP for a few hundred bux wouldn't the factory just use that in the first place? All this crap does is make it loud. If you actually wheel the thing you'll be in 4W-Lo anyway and any little bolt on mod won't mean dick.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 ltr

to be honest, does it mater what it does as long as it dont 'f' it up its upto the individual who ownes the jeep. we all read the claimed hp etc but if you wanna fit it to your truck just do it.
every body and there dad has an opinion, do what you want. you pay your money you make your choice.

Quick Reply: Cold Air intake Debate