Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

A/C system

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Question A/C system

I have A 04 Grand Cherokee 4.0 @ 97,000miles on the A/C system. My problem is., and I cant find A thread on this problem. Last year I bought the Jeep from Florida drove it home and the A/C seam to work great till end of summer I thought it could use a charge but due to other mech. problems I had (like new engine, new Trans, ect. ect.) I didn't get to it till this spring. It got hot today 90* and needed the A/C it blew warm, so i picked up some R134 in a can dumped 2 in and still needed more dumped 2 more in with a can of leak sealer with red die, ck'd again read still low went back to store picked up some more and ck'd before I put more in and read that it was up to pressure maybe a little high but in the range. But now the compressor clutch kicks in and out every 5 sec. or so, and not blowing ice cold like it use too. Any help would be great...
Old 05-18-2017, 05:57 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

The best thing to do is get it pumped down and see if it holds a vacuum. If it doesn't, you may have had air in it that needs to be replaced with refrigerant. Pumping it down will remove the air too, so you can start from scratch. Use a UV light and see if you can find the leak. That red dye should jump right out at you.

We did the same thing with mine and couldn't find it, so I'm pretty sure it's in the evaporator and I'm not going to pull the dash apart just yet.

Last edited by dave1123; 05-18-2017 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:48 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea listen to Dave, have it recycled , then put it on a vacuum for at least two hours to vaporize all the air that is trapped in the system from who knows how many times that it has been "canned" to bring the cool air back to the vents. A/C systems can not work properly if there is too much dye in the system as it causes a restriction in the drier and too much air because it defeats the system ability to compress the freon
Old 05-18-2017, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Default A/C system

First off, Thanks for the reply's. It makes sense, air in system, I'm going to take it in to a shop have it ck'd for leaks and draw the system down and get the die out. I never like putting crap in any systems, or tires.