Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Bypass YAW senser/Lateral Acceleration module?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Question Bypass YAW senser/Lateral Acceleration module?

I did a search so this might have been covered but no joy. Also I am a vision-impaired two-finger typist, I will attempt to make spelling correction but MMMV [[My Mileage May Vary]]

Last year in May my '07 Grand Cherokee Overland decided to not start. Towed it to dealership since it was under an Ignition Switch Recall in hopes that was the issue. Instead it got a new starter-ok, ran fine so seemed good. Come end of November wife and I went to Wally World, go in, shop, come out and guess what? Dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree but no start-not even a grind from the starter.

Towed it home and messed with it including disconnecting the batt and reconnecting it and no joy. Finally, since we are both on Disability [[stroke/renal transplant on my side, degenerative spine issues on hers requiring surgery and, at times a wheelchair, just so you understand it's not one of those cases of people playing 'Disabled'.]]

After the New Years I called the local garage to have it towed back to dealership since both starter and ignition are still under warranty. Driver comes out and has it started in under two minutes [[I had tried once again maybe 20 mins before]]. He said it was the ignition.

Drove it to the dealership for warranty repairs. They ran scans, said electrical was fine and could not find issues with the ignition that, perhaps, a pin had gotten stuck so "Let us know if there are anymore issues!".

Drove it home, next morning go out and.....no startee.

Towed it back in and they kept it then called and said it was the "dynamic control sensor" and they want $500 to fixit. Yeah, I can send them a leg maybe but $500 is not in the foreseeable future.

I researched and researched and had no luck finding anything that used the name so called a different dealership and asked for the part then asked if it had a different name and was told "yaw rate or lateral acceleration module".

So, reading it looks like I might be able to DIY but am wondering what my options are-can it be bypassed or simply turned off so the Jeepster rolls again? And why would this keep the Jeep from starting?
Been driving jeeps for 35 years without something that 'Rescues' me in a spin/slide situation so can probably handle it myself thankyouverymuch but Nanny, I'd like to cease your employment for the time being.

I appreciate any thoughts you folks have.