Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default brake issues

Hello, I have a 1999 grand Cherokee . my brakes cease up or lock up . when the temp. outside is 80 degrees or better even within 15 miles. but not when its cooler and i drive 100 miles... its the front. I had just bought it, its in great condition and has new pads and rotor and caliber looks fine. When this happens the tire is soooooo hot and when i let off gas it will stop on its own ?? Any advise,
Thanks Beth
Old 05-27-2017, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Petrol

The early Grand Cherokees 99-00 used Teves calipers which are known for seizing up - if you still have the original calipers this is more than likely the problem.
Best solution is to replace them both with the later Akebono calipers.
You can get a kit with the calipers, brackets & pads.

I had to do the same on my 2000 a few years ago.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:54 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

You should check the calipers to make sure the pistons retract smoothly and don't hang up. Quite often one of the 2 pistons on each caliper will stick and cause the brakes to heat up very rapidly. If the pistons are okay, make sure the slider pins are well lubricated. It's important to get grease inside the rubber boots as well as the pins. My 2000 WJ had the Teves calipers and I struggled with them for 3 years before I caved in and changed to the Akebono. Now the only problem I've got is brake squeak!

One other thing it might be is the brake hoses. Sometimes they will get swelled up inside and restrict the release flow of fluid. This is caused be letting the calipers hang on the hoses when doing a brake job or dropping them when handling them so that they stretch the hoses. The weird part is the Akebono calipers are just for the front. They still use Teves in the rear.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Originally Posted by Cherokee_Mike
The early Grand Cherokees 99-00 used Teves calipers which are known for seizing up - if you still have the original calipers this is more than likely the problem.
Best solution is to replace them both with the later Akebono calipers.
You can get a kit with the calipers, brackets & pads.

I had to do the same on my 2000 a few years ago.
This right here. Google how to tell the difference between the 2 different calipers. If you have the Teves, replace them with Akebono.